Chapter 68

I had no idea what to do with all the information Angie just gave me. Therefore I just stood there and watched her with round eyes. Saber was a secret agent? She was a trained killer? She had been hired to stay by Sverre's side until Alastair got crowned? She wasn't even in the original book but then again, Sverre wasn't very present either. I tried remembering but I couldn't recall Sverre's fiance in the book. Was she going to leave after a year? Did she not find Angie in the original book? Did she just leave without finding her childhood friend? Or were they not friends in the original? Seeing me in this confused state, Angie tilted her head:

"Did I say something wrong?

-No, I'm just confused. I had no idea that Saber was hitman.

-I'm sorry, I should have told you before. I just didn't think you would be interested.

-Who wouldn't be?"

I regretted saying it immediately because Angie's eyes suddenly turned orange.

"I'm sorry... I could tell you everything I know about her."

I quickly shook my head:

"No, it's okay. I don't even know if I should know all of this.

-I have no secrets from you."

I could have joked about Angie pretending to be literally someone else for a decade but I knew that it would make her sad so I refrained from saying anything.

"If I want to know something, I will ask Saber directly."

That didn't seem to please Angie either.

"You can ask me. I can get any information you want.

-But... Wouldn't it be better to ask Saber directly? That way you won't have to play the intermediate and Saber won't feel spied upon.

-I don't mind.

-But..."

I was going to argue some more but seeing Angie's eyes grow cold made me stop. Why was she mad suddenly? What did I say?

"Did I make you mad by any chance?"

Angie shook her head:

"You could never anger me.

-But you look angry. Remember what we said about you expressing your thoughts? You don't have to tell me everything but if I hurt you I would like to know so I can pay attention in the future."

Angie deliberated a few seconds before sighing:

"You didn't do anything wrong. I just don't like you paying too much attention to Saber. If you are curious about her I could tell you anything you want to know. You don't have to ask her."

I couldn't help laughing:

"Are you jealous?

-Yes.

-I really like Saber. She is my friend with Azore and hearing that she is a secret agent is very interesting but I would never care about her as much as I do about you. No one can compare to you, Angie. And to be honest I don't really care about Saber's past. If she wants to tell me then she will but I won't be the one to ask questions. That's why I didn't ask you to tell me anything. Not because I didn't trust you or anything."

Angie couldn't hide her smile.

"Maybe you should hide from Saber that you told me the truth.

-She knows that I have no secrets from you."

I smiled before rubbing her head:

"I think everyone knows at this point. Come on, we have to go to class."

As soon as we arrived, Saber ran up to us with a smile. I should have figured that there was something going on with her from the beginning. I immediately felt that she was different and her being childhood friends with Angie was a big clue that she wasn't ordinary. However, despite knowing the truth, Saber was still the same person and I already forgot about her job. I didn't ask her anything and we talked as if nothing, going to class before meeting again at noon.

I grabbed a plate and walked after Saber, listening to her tell us about her French teacher. I was only listening with one ear focused on what I wanted to eat and seeing that I only grabbed an apple and a salad, Saber frowned:

"What's wrong, Poehina? Are you sick?"

Angie answered before I did:

"She will have her period soon."

I looked up at Angie with curious eyes. How did she know? Even I forgot. I just felt a bit nauseous and thought it was because I ate too much at breakfast. But now that Angie was saying it, it was true that I would be nauseous on the first day of my period. How could she be so observant?

"Oh... Do you need medicine? We could take you to the infirmary.

-No, thank you. Fortunately, I never get cramps. I just lose my appetite for a few days and then I'm all better.

-You don't get cramps? I am so jealous. I can't even feel my legs on the first day.

-I am very lucky. My period never hurt at all."

Saber moved on because the line was moving. I couldn't forget about how observant and attentive Angie was towards me so I smiled at her. However, seeing her avoid my eyes awkwardly made me frown. Why was she acting weird all of a sudden? It couldn't be because I was being close to Saber. We didn't even say anything. Was it because of what I said? I thought back to my words and couldn't help thinking: was Angie the reason why I never had period cramps? Angie had been sleeping with me for a long time. Knowing her, she would never have let me be in pain. Feeling that I was right, I immediately grabbed her after lunch:

"Angie, may I ask you a question?"

I could feel the tension in the air but Angie didn't dare say no.

"Did you absorb my pain every period I got?"

Angie bit her lips and I could see smoke rise from her head.

"Did you?

-Yes..."

I crossed my arms on my chest. I knew enough about magic in this world to know that the only way to ease someone's pain was to absorb it or to direct it at someone else. She couldn't just make it disappear. How could I not notice before? Had she been absorbing my pain all these years?

"You have to stop doing that. I can't have you in pain because of me.

-I won't."

I froze. I had never seen Angie so determined before.

"So me being in pain is not okay but you absorbing my pain is?

-Yes. As long as you are fine I could do anything.

-But I don't like that! I don't want you to be in pain. I forbid you from doing that.

-I don't care."

I had no idea what to say anymore. This was my first time forbidding Angie from doing anything and she wasn't budging. Why did she have to be this stubborn sometimes?

"If you continue absorbing my pain, I'll get mad."

Angie froze but after a few seconds she still nodded:

"Okay.

-Is that all? You don't care about me being mad?

-As long as you are fine, I don't care. You can even hit me if you want."

I pinched my lips frustrated. At this moment I really wanted to hit her but I held back. I knew what to say next:

"If you absorb my pain again, we are never sleeping together again."

I knew that it was a good idea. As soon as Angie heard my threat, her eyes turned white and she just stood there immobile. She knew that I couldn't sleep without her and Angie liked sleeping in my arms. So? What was it going to be?