Chapter Thirteen

THE BOSS UNDERCOVER SERIES IS AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE ON AMAZON AS E-BOOK OR PAPERBACK! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT! 

*THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN EDITED*

James

James glanced at his wrist-watch, then to the door and then back to his watch. It was dawning eight o'clock on Monday morning and there was still no sight of Harper. After Saturday's commotion, he couldn't entirely blame her for not wanting to. He'd kindly dropped her off at her apartment without a word coming from her pretty little mouth. Not that he hadn't anticipated she would be stubborn with him for picking her up and carrying her out of the coffee shop against her will.

Out of boredom, he began to roll a pencil from out of the pot across the desk hoping it would distract his restless thoughts. But it was accomplishing nothing. What if she never came back? What she quit for real? Had he taken things too far?

The door ahead suddenly opened inwards, bringing him to reality as he sat up straight. His heart was racing. His hair stood up on the ends of his arms as he expected to see Harper heading into the office but instead was immediately disgruntled to watch Katherine, an old fling, enter the space.

James sighed. "What are you doing here, Katherine?"

Katherine sashayed over, her red mini handbag hanging off her right arm as she pursed her lips playfully. "Baby, I came to see you. Especially after the other day," she said, smiling from ear to ear.

He cocked his right brow. "Oh, of course, you're just the person I wanted to see right now," he said sarcastically as he diverted his attention to his unopened laptop.

She seemed to ignore his detest as she continued blissfully into his office, "Oh, James. You can pretend or you like but you know that what we have is special, undeniable and electric." She stopped at the head of his desk, before she leaned in placing both hands on her desk, deliberately sporting her cleavage into sight. James was unable to stop himself, admiring but trying not to, dash his eyes across her D-cup breasts filled in a lacy red bra. "You can't tell me you're not wanting to take me over this desk right now," she muttered, dangerously smirking as she caught his guilty eyes.

"Just, stop," he said quickly, opening his laptop to address his email inbox. "Haven't you got any thing else better to do?"

Katherine shook her head smiling. "Oh, honey. One day you'll come crawling into my arms and you'll never want me to go."

"Just go Katherine," he pleaded, fed up with her antics.

"Why don't you come with me?" she teased.

James shook his head. "Just go-"

He was interrupted as there was a nervous knock on the door. Then appeared Harper, her brown locks cascading down her shoulders, her white blouse tucked in her pencil skirt and that suggestive habit she had of biting her bottom lip. James immediately then stood up.

"I can come back," Harper said, turning on her heel.

"No, it's fine," James objected, "she was just going anyway," he added with an ounce of authority.

Katherine rolled her eyes playfully as James led her towards the door. She stopped at Harper, smiling with mischief. "Well, aren't you adorable," she said before she turned to James and kissed him on the lips. "See you soon, baby." Before she headed out the office.

James noticed Harper look shamefully away towards the floor, refusing to give him contact as they stood there for a minute or two in silence.

"She's just a friend," he found himself saying.