ten

"Do you think Maia will be there today?" Camila asked, hurrying to catch up with Lauren as they made their way towards the front of the school building. It was now the first week of February, and things had been running pretty smoothly for them.

With the exception of Camila and Maia's growing friendship.

"She's always there," Lauren shrugged. She couldn't help but be jealous. Lauren was well aware that she couldn't have Camila all to herself. But she was also scared that Camila could easily replace her.

"Oh," Camila giggled, finding Lauren's hand and kicking a pebble as they walked. "I like her. She is funny."

"I know. You told me already," Lauren mumbled, pushing through the large doors of the building. Camila grew confused at her abrupt change in mood, but quickly scrambled to follow her into the classroom.

"Hey, Camila!" one of the boys waved to her. Camila smiled and padded over to him, bumping her fist and making an exploding noise. In the classes she had been present in, she'd somehow managed to make friends with almost every student in the room. Lauren watched bitterly for a few moments.

In some ways, the green eyed girl was proud of Camila was branching out. And granted, she should be happy that Camila was making progress. But with her progress came Lauren's worry. She wished it was easier for her to protect Camila. But now, the smaller girl needed her freedom.

Camila greeted a group of students before quickly scanning the room and hurrying back to Lauren's side.

"What are you painting?" Camila asked, pulling a stool up next to Lauren. The green eyed girl was staring absentmindedly at a blank canvas.

"I don't know yet," Lauren shrugged, looking down at the palette of paints in her hand. "What should I paint?"

"Hmm," Camila leaned forward and rested her chin on Lauren's shoulder so she could study the canvas up close. "Paint a tiger."

"A tiger?" Lauren raised an eyebrow. "I don't know how..."

"You can do it," Camila smiled and kissed Lauren's cheek. Lauren sighed and shook her head.

"Only for you," she whispered softly, knowing she couldn't resist the smaller girl. Camila clasped her hands together and smiled widely.

"I love you," she hummed, leaning in and kissing Lauren's cheek before disappearing across the room. Lauren bit her lip, looking down at her paints and then up at the canvas.

Meanwhile, Camila smiled happily as she made her way over to Maia's table. The girl seemed focused on something, so Camila quietly pulled up a stool next to her. She watched for a minute or two, tugging at the signature beanie on her head.

"Mila, look," Toby took a large lump of clay, holding it above his head and letting it fall down to the table. It landed with a plop, flattening out slightly. Camila jumped, but laughed once she realized it wasn't harmful.

"Wanna try?" Toby tore off a small chunk of clay. Camila nodded as he rolled the material across the table, but Maia reached out to stop him before Camila could get her hands on it.

"Let's not make a huge mess. You already make enough for all of us," she laughed, setting down her paintbrush and motioning to the excess clay covering his clothing. Camila furrowed her eyebrows.

"But I want to try," she said quietly, pointing to the clay and then looking at Maia hopefully. The other girl thought for a moment before standing up, signaling for Camila to wait before disappearing in the back of the room.

"I do not understand," Camila turned back to Toby, who chuckled to himself.

"Neither do I," he laughed, rolling the clay between his hands and shaping it with some sort of wooden tool. "She's crazy."