|22| p i e

Sixteen minutes. It took us sixteen agonizing minutes to reach the daycare. It wasn't even that long if you would look at it, and if you'd consider the fact that I was seated, right next to my crush, it wouldn't be agonizing. But to me, it felt like an eternity of pain, especially with the irritating sound of chewing that Austin made sure, I would hear.

The sound of chewing didn't bother me that much before. To me, it was part of human nature and well...eating. But today was one of those days. Those days when everything looks so annoying and anyone can be Satan's pawn in your eyes even if they didn't do anything to piss you off.

I swear those days always beat Mother Flo days.

With a petulant scowl still on my face, I let my eyes roam over the interior of Little Angels' Daycare. It's a two-story building with rose-pink and sky-blue walls with a few colorful posters plastered on each side. The hardwood floor, is covered by Assorted color-foam puzzles, that lie in the center of the room, just behind the front desk, where it's divided by a huge glass door. Behind the glass doors, is where the kids are all lying around and are playing with their toys.

The rest of the place is filled with toys, mats, small tables and everything that's colorful, bright and cute. But even with the happy environment, those days still made sure to remain those days.

"Hey dude, what's with the face?" Lily pinched each side of my cheeks with her flour coated fingers. Her lips pouted childishly and her eyes wide.

It has been an hour already since we arrived here at Little Angels'. Our classmates already made the first few batches of pastries to fill the bright yellow buffet table, that's perched against the blue wall at my right.

The Bakers are all busy, baking in the daycare's kitchen, with The Marketers assisting them. While we, The Heroes are roaming around the room, looking out for the kids who are assigned to us, and the pastries that are plate by plate, leaving the kitchen doors, towards the buffet table.

I gently pushed her hands off my face and consciously wiped my cheeks for any traces of flour, that her fingers might have left.

Releasing a weary sigh, I clicked my tongue together in a 'tsk' sound and let my lips curve to a frown. "I just feel so grumpy today."

Both of her eyebrows arched up, smiling at me in pity. "Must be one of those days huh?"

I chuckled lightly and nodded. "Yeah. One of those days."

This what I love about Lily too. She's just understanding and not complicated. When you say you're hungry, she'll tell you to eat. When you say you're having a bad day, she'll offer you a warm smile and will cheer you up a little, without forcing you to be bright and sunny for her sake.

She's like the teddy bear that kids leave on top of their beds. When you get home it's still there, waiting patiently for your hugs, without demands and bad feelings even if you left your room without saying goodbye.

I'm just so lucky that I forgot my pencil case that day, or I wouldn't have met my best friends. Life would've been a dull shade of gray for me.

Lily laughed a little and rubbed the palms of her hands together, in a manner that tells me, she has something planned, that I wouldn't agree with. "You know... I'm thinking, we should feed the kids together in pairs. And you know who I want you to be paired with?"

Oh gods.

"Lily I don't think this is a goo—"

"You're right! It's Austin!" She beamed, squeezing both of my cheeks, in between her flour-covered palms. "Can you see it? It would look like you guys have your own family! I know I'm on team Patrick but...since you're in a foul mood today and Patrick isn't here to cheer you up. As your amazingly great best friend, I'm gonna let Austin borrow you for today! Isn't it amazing?"