Memories Thought Forgotten...

Without even thinking, I loped to the basement and grabbed matches and a brand new plastic bottle of gasoline. Of course they were a bit hard to carry, but my mission was important enough that I managed.

Mommy loved to go camping when she was still alive so she had lots of supplies for me to mess around with. As I was leaving I suddenly stopped, the air seemed to be moist and droplets of water were appearing on the walls.

I didn't realize it at first but the mist seemed to be appearing and becoming thicker by the second. I began to sweat in the heat of the mist. The thought of what I was going to do seemed to resonate throughout my entire being.

My hands and arms started shaking like a caged bird unable to fly.

I started laughing, it began as a low giggle but soon became a psychotic wail.

I started thinking of only blood. The thick red blood of my Dead mother. Soon the blood was all I could see. The mist swelled, and it almost seemed as though I could see things moving in my now reconstructed eye. The mist was calling out to me.

*(flashback)*

It was a warm summer day.

Mommy and I were going on a hike together through the forest.

As we were walking I heard a voice in my head, I turned around and saw a tall man in a suit. He was directly behind us and seemed surprised that I noticed his presence. when Mommy noticed what I was looking at, she turned around and startled. Then she started to scream. She screamed, and screamed.

"Why won't you leave us alone?!" she cried at the top of her lungs.

In response, the man just stared. His presence was ominous, like he was hesitant to do something. Like he would regret his next actions.

It was then, almost without warning that a black tendril shot out from behind his back and attacked Mommy. I was frozen in shock and fear, but by now Mommy was covered in gashes and was losing a lot of blood.

All of a sudden, I heard something. I wasn't sure what, but somehow, I knew it was me. "Leave Mommy ALONE".

I shrieked. My voice sounded inhuman. It was as if a primal instinct had awoken in me. Protect, not Mommy. Just protect. "You stop hurting Mommy or I'll!-"

The sentence was cut off, and suddenly the man disappeared. All that remained was a writhing cluster of black tendrils, before those too slithered away as if they had never been there at all.

*(end of flashback)*

When we had gotten home, we had each dragged each other in through the front door. Daddy wanted to know what happened, but Mommy simply said that she fell off the path.

I still don't know why Mommy lied back then and right now, I don't care.

I stopped shaking. The mist lessened. I grabbed the supplies and went back upstairs, where I made a b-line to the kitchen. On my way there, I realized that after this, my brilliant plan, everything I wouldn't save would probably disappear, forever. I ran my fingers over a green picture frame hanging on the wall. In it was a small photo of me and Mommy in the good days. Before Daddy went bitter.

I was smiling a toothy grin showing off my new teeth, and Mommy was sitting in the grass with flowers in her hair, laughing at something Daddy had said. As I looked at the photo I noticed something off, right behind where I was posing, a dark figure clouded the background. I snatched the picture from its perch on the wall. As I took a closer look at the photograph, I realized it was in fact, the tall man.

I stared, hoping the man would disappear from the photo just as he had on that sunny day. I was not so lucky.