chapter ninety-seven

THEY ARRIVE AT ROCKFISH, the place where they bash beer bottles on people's heads. JJ insists that there's a guy here, that's always here, who moves a lot of weight and, of course, JJ's dad worked for him.

John B and Brooklyn look at each other, very much aware of who this person is as John B says, "Please don't say "Barracuda Mike.""

"Okay, I won't," JJ replies.

They leave the Twinkie and walk into Rockfish and are immediately joined by day drinkers and hippies, who keep looking at them. Usually, if they had more time, they wouldn't listen to JJ and whatever this plan is, but their dad is a ticking time bomb and he could be killed at any given moment. Hell, he could be dead right now. They don't have time to waste and they need to execute this plan and leave.

"This guy is gonna be the key to getting down to South America ASAP," JJ tells the twins like they'll believe him. "Trust me on this one."

Brooklyn and John B share a look of uncertainty while JJ leaves them to go do the talking, "Yo, Mike! You remember me, right? It's on the tip of your tongue, J-"

"Luke's son!" he replies and the tip of his knife touches the table.

"Uh, also go by JJ, but this here is my good friend, John B." He spins John B around to say hello to Mike. "And this here is my lovely girlfriend, Brooklyn."

Brooklyn and John B say their hellos while Mike replies with, "The Routledge's. I've heard stories about you three."

That's never good. "I mean, he's a stone-cold cop k... killer," JJ stammers when he sees some huge guy next to them.

"No, I'm not," John B responds.

JJ starts to talk again, "Mike, I'm gonna be honest about why we're here, okay? We're a little bit in a ... a patch of trouble, and we're trying to get down to South America if that's-"

"I'm sorry, slick, but I done sold the travel agency," Mike tells them and Brooklyn watches the plan burst into flames.

JJ laughs and continues to go along, "We're not looking for some free handouts, all right? We understand it's a two-way road. Symbiotic relationship." JJ clasps his two hands together. "That's what we're trying to get at. We just need to "parlee"-"

"Parley. Parley is what he's saying," Brooklyn interrupts.

"Parley in, um... in private, if that's cool with you," JJ says, looking between Mike and his friends.

Mike starts to walk off and he warns Brooklyn and John B to stay right here while he goes and talks to Mike. John B tries to make small talk with his friends but Brooklyn tells him to shut up.

It isn't long until they're being grabbed by JJ and out of the Rockfish. "What do we have to do?" Brooklyn asks.

"Just a little something," he replies and Brooklyn doesn't like "a little something," right now.

"Every time you say "a little something," it's never a little something," John B tells him and Brooklyn agrees.

"It's literally the easiest job in the world, bro," JJ assures him. "We just unload it. You know what they do on planes? You know on Delta and United when they take the bags off of the- That's what we're doing. Okay? Once we do that, we punch our tickets, go on to South America, sipping on piña coladas, all right? Piece of cake."

Brooklyn snatches the keys from JJ and walks around to the driver's side to start up the car, ready to execute the plan.

────────────────────────