chapter one hundred and three

AFTER ENDLESS HOURS of rain pour, wind and lightening, the Pogues discovered they were in what they believed to be El Tesoro. Kiara reads off the maps realising that there's a trail line at the mountain that just so happens to be where one of Singh's men sits.

They devise a plan to send him a threatening message before throwing fireworks at him in the hopes of getting him to leave. Luckily, he gets scared and when he shoots back, terrified, Pope throws another firework. The girls watch from the window, keeping an eye out for him, as the boys throw a couple more into the water as he speeds off and away from the scene.

"Think we're getting better at this," JJ smirks as he does the handshake with Pope.

"Hey, hey. Ain't no time for celebrating. We didn't do nothing yet," Cleo tells them.

Brooklyn walks past the boys after Kiara and Cleo and adds on, "That's fair."

"I thought we did something," JJ mutters to Pope.

"We did. We did." The two boys clap their hands together.

"Well done, solider," JJ applauds.

They set off together, prepared to walk up the trail that guides them up the mountain and hopefully to wear John B and Sarah will be.

Pope and Cleo walk ahead, Brooklyn walks behind with Kiara and JJ. She's holding JJ's hand as he guides her up the mountain, a machete in the other hand. Brooklyn reaches out to grab Kiara's hand when they're nearer to Pope and Cleo, thankful that they've made it up one slope. "You guys find anything?" JJ asks the two who stand awfully close to each other.

"The path leads this way," Pope says, pointing behind him.

"Okay. We're coming," Brooklyn says as she quickens her pace to meet JJ's.

When Cleo walks away from Pope, she rushes over to Pope, plants both hands on his shoulders and whispers, "Did you tell her?"

Pope rolls his eyes and shoves her away. "Shut up, Bee," he laughs.

She nudges him and wraps an arm around his. "Did you speak to Kie?" he asks and Brooklyn nods. "All go well?"

"We're all good," she assures. "I'm glad you told her, it was getting kind of annoying watching you stare at her."

"Like I didn't have to watch you and JJ stare at each other for months," he shoots back.

"You asshole," she laughs and he laughs with her and Brooklyn is happy to just be existing with her closest friends right now. "Come on."

────────────────────────

An explosion sounds through their ears when they arrive at the top of the mountain. Brooklyn feels the worst has happened when she hears the explosion and the ground shake beneath her feet. She continues to walk, faster than before, because she feels she is so, so close to finding her brother, finding her father, finding Sarah, she just needs to keep walking.

She finds herself, minutes later, watching from behind a tree as Ward Cameron raises a gun at her family. Her friends have joined her and they're asking what to do but all Brooklyn wants to do is kill award Cameron.

"P4L," she mutters, holding her machete high.

"P4L," her friends repeat as they bring their own machetes out.

Brooklyn is first to step forward despite JJ's quiet pleads for her to get behind him. They all look at each and come to a silent agreement before they're rushing forward and screaming to throw Ward off. "Put it down!" Brooklyn yells, her knife pointed outwards and close to him.