Beauty and the Beat (42)

I never wanted to stop kissing him. I felt like if I did, I'd lose him again and then I'd never be able to kiss him again. I didn't think I'd be able to handle losing him again.

When the front door opened, Ethan and I pushed away from each other to see who had entered the house, but whoever it was had already seen us kissing so there was no point in pushing away from each other.

Zach and Maxynn stood there, both looking very surprised by what they had just witnessed. I didn't really blame them..

"Well, I wasn't expecting that," Zach said, looking at his wife as if to see if she felt the same way. "It's a good thing, but not something I was expecting."

"I'm assuming you're back together?" Maxynn asked.

"Yes," Ethan nodded. "We are."

She grinned. "Well, that's good!"

Maxynn looked genuinely happy, and I couldn't help but smile. It was nice to see someone who honestly supported Ethan and me together. There weren't very many people who supported our relationship at all.

"What are you guys even doing here?" Ethan asked rather bluntly to his brother and sister-in-law.

Zach shrugged. "We wanted to say goodbye to you before you left for New York," he answered simply, taking a seat on the couch.

"Well, I'm not leaving yet," Ethan informed them with a shake of his head. "Sadie's going to go with me and we're going to go after she graduates."

"You're going to live in New York together?" Maxynn gasped, still smiling. "That's exciting!"

Zach rolled his eyes. "And unsurprising."

"What are you talking about?" Ethan questioned, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"I knew that she was going to go with you." Zach shrugged once again, as if it was no big deal. "It was obvious."

Ethan seemed slightly bothered by what his brother was saying to him. "I don't see how," was what he replied with.

Zach beckoned for Maxynn to come sit with him, which she happily obliged to. She cuddled up to his side and he wrapped his arm around her. It was really nice to see how in love they still were in with each other, even after years of marriage and children. It made me believe that true love really was real.

"Watching the two of you grow up together, I knew this day would come," the older Deveraux brother explained, and Ethan made a face at him. "Of course, I didn't think it would happen like this, but I knew Anna wasn't the one for you."

"And now Anna's going to marry her brother," Maxynn pointed out.

I scowled. "Don't remind me."

Maxynn blinked at me. "You're with Ethan yet you still hate her?"

"I can't help it," I admitted, feeling a little ashamed. "I never liked her and I most likely never will."

"Maybe because you were so jealous of her being with me all these years," Ethan smirked.

I elbowed him in the side. "Shut up."

"Do I hear Zach and Maxynn?" a new voice now asked, and we turned to the stairs to see Mrs. Deveraux making her way back down the stairs. "I didn't know you two were coming over!"

"We wanted to see Ethan off," Zach informed his mother uncaringly.

"How sweet!" Mrs. Deveraux gushed, and Ethan rolled his eyes. "I didn't expect you two to visit just for that."