11. The Tale of the Forgotten

It was a lovely day for a picnic beneath the Old One.

Vienna smiled at Ezzie, whose features had blossomed to showcase such joy as she held one of her little ones. Frey came over, bent at the waist to kiss his wife on her temple, and shifted the other twin onto his hip as he sat down.

"Excellent juggling, my dear." Ezzie smiled at her husband.

Vienna reached out to grab a biscuit from the tray Frey had set down.

After munching on the delicious jam-filled biscuit, she took a sip of her from her tea mug. Her eyes smiled over the rim as she watched the small family.

One of the twins suddenly hovered in her peripherals as Frey bent down to offer the little boy to her.

"Are you sure?" Vienna's eyes glanced at the child and then back at Ezzie.

Ezzie laughed. "There is no danger to hold him, Miss Vienna."

"Just 'Vienna,' please, Ezzie." Vienna withheld a sigh. Her friend merely shook her head with a smile and gestured to Frey. Vienna turned to receive the little one in her arms.

Fluffy peach-blossom hair ombré into a soft sage green that matched Vienna's overdress. Vienna held the baby carefully in the crook of her arm and watched transfixed as the big eyes peering up beneath light green eyelashes turned brown to match hers.

"Garren there has taken after me the most. He's begun using his Elemširdis inheritance to explore the world around him."

Frey laughed as Vienna's mouth opened in question.

The bout of laughter startled his little daughter, who had just fallen asleep upon her mother's bosom.

"My mother's family were all of Ôkren descendants. My father had both Ôkren on his paternal side and Elemširdis on his maternal side. Growing up in the hills with my attributes was not uncommon."

Vienna gazed down at the little boy in her arms while his searching eyes explored all her features as if memorizing them. The twins were barely a couple of months old, and yet already he gestured up at the sky with a look full of wonder. Vienna suddenly giggled, and little Garren own followed. One of his hands mirthfully grabbed onto the front of her dress tightly. Vienna reached out with her fingertips, marveling at how soft his small hand was. He let go of her dress, only to grab onto her fingers and refused to let go.

Ezzie's soft voice spoke up. "Most have a similar ancestry around here. My mother has the same."

Vienna looked up, dazzled by the rapt attention of the little bundle in her arms, her eyes catching another pair staring at her from Ezzie's arms. Bright emerald green like the leaves overhead.

Vienna skipped through the manor's halls with a large grin on her face, a whisper of satisfaction escaping her

Vienna skipped through the manor's halls with a large grin on her face, a whisper of satisfaction escaping her. "It's been a good day."

As she passed by the hallway that led to her father's study and the library, she heard a familiar timber of voices and changed directions from the stairs.