Chapter 16 - Friends

Cece actually passes out once we are in the car and as I am the one who is more sober I have to drive. Needless to say I go in a panic mode, scared that the police will stop us and ask me for my driver licence-which I don't have-and notice I've been drinking and we'll go to jail and it'll be terrible for Gareth's image and Father will be disappointed and the production will be ruined and it'll be all my fault!

"Ann, are you okay?" Gareth asks from the passenger's seat above Cece's loud snores.

"Yes, yes, perfectly fine! Why wouldn't I be?" I reply but even I notice my shaky and nervous voice and my hands actually hurt because I'm clutching the wheel too tight. "Is that a police car? Are they following us?"

Gareth chuckles and I would look at him but I'm too scared to look away from the road. I'm not the best driver even when I'm sober, I'm just learning, so if I dare to look at the actor by my side I'll cause an accident and bring our deaths upon us.

"Ann, relax. It's just another car. And if you're too nervous to drive, I can do-"

"NO!" I shout. "You drank much more. Technically, your reflexes are slower and clumsier and will most likely get us killed. And if there's an accident and it's known you were the one driving under the influence of the alcohol, then it'll be a blow to your career. I'll drive," I blurt out and I can hear him chuckle again. I don't know why he finds my panic amusing.

"Okay, okay. You drive, but relax, you're fine and we are almost at the hotel," he reminds me and I nod, hoping we can get there now.

Only when I park, horridly because I have no talent to park and I'm sure this is the reason why I'll never get my licence and I'll have to have a chauffeur for the rest of my life like those rich kids in dramas.

"Ann," Gareth calls my name and his hands grab my shoulders, shaking me a bit when I'm still in the car but I haven't moved to get out. "Why are you still panicking? We got here, nothing happened."

I take a deep breath and finally look him in the eyes. These seem still fairly amused but a bit concerned so I try to calm down. I'm freaking out for no reason now.

"I'm okay," I state, finally sounding calmer and attempting a smile to show him that. "I was just scared but we made it even if I can't park the car."

Gareth actually laughs this time, looking down for a second as if he isn't able to hold his head anymore, his shoulder shakes and I just watch him as the corners of my mouths tug in a smile at the sight. My heart starts fluttering with the sound of his laughter.

"I guess... that as long as you don't crash into someone or bump another car then it's a success," he says, finally looking at me again. "You're cute," he adds next as my eyes widen.

Next thing I know he is ruffling my hair softly and with a smile on his lips before removing it and turning to open the door and get out the car. I stay inside, my heart practically beating in my throat and butterflies partying in my tummy. My cheeks flush and my hands shake as I cover my mouth to hide my parted lips in surprise. I can still feel his hand on top of my head, ruffling my hair and his eyes looking at me like that. And he says I'm cute. He really said that. I don't know why I feel like screaming.

A door opens again, startling me and I notice it's Gareth at the back, dragging Cece out. That snaps me back to reality and I rush to help him so the two of us carry Cece, a taller and more built man than Gareth, towards the lift and then his room. I have to literally look for his key in the pockets and open the door so Gareth can finish carrying the makeup artist to his bed where we make sure he is in the right position. Before leaving his room with him inside, I put a glass with water on his nightstand, his mobile charging and some paracetamol I find in the bathroom cabinet.