nineteen

"I DON'T GET IT

"I DON'T GET IT. What did Aubrey mean when she said I'd have to relocate?" Sophie asked as she begrudgingly jammed her baby-carrot into a pile of ranch dressing.

Tabatha eyed her cautiously. The dark haired girl nibbled on a spoonful of mashed potatoes. Her gaze flickered toward Alex, who sat beside Sophie, looking more god-like than should be allowed. An untouched tray of food sat on the table in front of him. His gaze danced around the table, amusement evident on his features.

Emma swallowed a miniscule bite of pasta and opened her mouth to answer.

Ellie beat her to it. "The games take place in a more remote part of the castle, where it won't directly interfere with our school work." She pushed her glasses further up her nose and sighed. "I mean, not that it doesn't interfere regardless. The contestants are usually exempt from schoolwork while they are participating and then the entire student body is distracted."

"It's entertaining," Emma snapped at her twin and scowled. Her cheeks were flushed. She shot a quick glance toward Alex. "That's the whole point. The games are a more entertaining way to get the students to work together and encourage them to want to advance into the harder classes. That's all it is."

Sophie stared at Emma. The girl seemed to be missing a vital point. "And what about the mating part?" she asked.

"Oh that's just an added bonus," Emma laughed lightly. She fluffed her hair. "Not only do you succeed in school, but you get to date a total babe."

Alex arched an eyebrow at Emma. She responded with a flirtatious grin, and fiddled with her fork. Ellie shook her head and Tabatha sighed. "Only it's more permanent," Sophie heard the latter mutter.

Sophie's eyebrows puckered.

Emma glared at Tabatha. "Please. Do not fill her head with that crazy bullshit." Then she turned to Sophie and shook her head. "There's this stupid rumor that's been going around since before Ellie and I even got here, that the Night Class are actually these vicious blood-thirsty vampires. And once you get accepted, then you get turned into a vampire too."

Then Emma pressed her index fingers against her lips, mimicking the appearance of fangs. "It's absolutely ridiculous."

Sophie's gaze shifted toward Alex, who happened to be in the Night Class. His smirk widened.

Tabatha shook her head, a frown gracing her features. "It's not ridiculous. It's the truth, right Alex?"

Alex glanced at her, seemingly oblivious to the venomous look that Emma shot toward Tabatha. The amusement that shimmered in his eyes darkened considerably. Sophie frowned.

Kitty slumped into an open chair then, and grunted loudly. Attention shifted toward her. She beamed at Sophie and said, "Well hey there, stranger! Did you decide to actually spend your last free lunch down here, with us?"