t w e n t y n i n e

If Drew had to describe his feelings currently, he'd probably describe them as akin to being stuck between a really hungry wolf and a nice, juicy, thick piece of steak.

Personally, he was regretting very heavily agreeing to tag along with Blake as he went to go get his ring back from Aaron- over lunch, no less. He was stuck at a very small table with Blake on his right and Aaron on his left. Blake was equally uncomfortable, picking at his sandwich with a fork; he hadn't stopped tapping his thigh with his left pointer and middle finger since he'd sat down, almost fifteen minutes ago. He also hadn't touched a thing on his plate, unless you count with the prongs of a fork.

Drew coughed, "So. Aaron, how's life since we saw you last... four days ago?" Way to go, Drew. Way to take the initiative. You go, Glen Coco.

"Good, good," Aaron said, taking a sip of his diet pepper to hide how obviously uncomfortable he was.

Drew was practically choking on all the awkwardness. He was briefly considering stabbing himself with a fork on purpose to have a legitimate excuse to leave the table when Blake burst out, "Okay this is fucking awkward. Can I just have my ring back and we can, like, never speak again for the next two years until I move half way across the country?"

Drew slammed his face down on the table.

Aaron blinked for a few seconds before rolling his eyes, "Oh yeah, like that's going to be easy. Not like we go to the same school or have the same friends or anything."

"It is easy! You don't talk to me, I don't talk to you. Ta-dah, the plan as to how we're going to avoid clawing each other's eyes out."

Drew beat his head on the table. "Is this why people hate it when their best friends date? Because if I'm perfectly honest here, this fucking sucks and I'm about to slap both of you with a fish."

"A fish?" Blake asked.

"Shut up, it's a Tumblr thing," Drew grumbled. "An outsider wouldn't understand."

"Got... you," Blake said slowly. "He's right, though," he admitted after a short pause.

"How so?" Aaron scoffed. "I personally would hate being slapped with a fish. I don't even like fish."

"Not about the fish-slapping," Blake said, rolling his eyes, "about how this sucks. We just didn't work as a couple. Why are we acting like it's the end of the world?"

"Dreeeeew, I'm dying," Drew mocked from a safe distance. "It's the end of the fucking wooooorld. Killll meeee."

"Shut the fuck up, Drew!" Blake hissed.

"Don't act like you were cool and collected, then! Tell him the fucking truth about how you're feeling, not this 'I'm so suave and calm' bullshit," Drew hissed back. "That's a one-way ticket to Misunderstandingville!"

Blake flushed. "Fine!" He turned to Aaron. "Yeah, it's a rough transition. I honestly thought we would work, and maybe I was a bit broken up about it," Drew kicked him under the table, "am a bit broken up about it, but yesterday I realized that this is probably what's best. You and I have different priorities. I value my education above almost anything else while you value other things." He shrugged.

Aaron was quiet, clearly pondering over what Blake had said. "You really thought we would work?" he said after a while. "Like really?"

"Of course. I liked you, you liked me," Blake said, taking a sip of his water. Was he trying to sound adult like? Because honestly, he just sounded like he didn't give a damn.

"So what? Total separation? Not even the whole "we can still be friends" baloney that exes typically spew?"

"What's the point?" Blake said coolly.

Aaron groaned. "Oh hell no. You are not going to revert to Mr. Icy Cold. I refuse to have you shut me out again; do you know how long it took for you to finally treat me like a friend? It was fucking hard work!"

Drew perked up at this little tidbit. Blake had never been cold with him. From the get-go they had been great friends, Blake practically glomming onto him. Or did he glom onto Blake?

"I'm not cold!" Blake protested. "I'm just not the type to go around hugging people I've never met, shaking them by the hand and asking them to call me Fred!"

Drew snorted into his water, sending drops cascading down his shirt and pants. "Oh bugger," he said and stood up. "I'll be right back."

"Alright," Blake said without looking at him, his gaze still locked on Aaron.

Drew glanced around for the bathroom, spotting the sign in the far corner of the little café they were in. He made a beeline for it, almost tripping over a waiter with an astoundingly full tray.

Opening the door, he grabbed a few paper towels and dabbed at the water marks. He jumped a bit when his phone went off in his pants and quickly pulled it out. 

Kai had sent him seven texts in a row, all along the lines of "so how's it going? have they killed u yet? are u dead? do i need to arrange a burial service? RIP drew, he was a good man. cute too."

Drew snickered softly and sent him back a text saying that they hadn't killed him yet, though not for lack of trying on Blake's part. He was gonna have to put some ice on his shin where Blake had managed to kick him.

He put the phone away, wiped his hands on his pants, and left the bathroom. 

Utter chaos awaited him.

Somehow, in the three minutes he had been gone, Blake and Aaron had gotten into a huge fight. Blake was on his feet, pointing at him with an accusatory stare while Aaron, thankfully seated still, spat words right back at him.

Drew screamed internally. "I swear to God I'm going to knock both of their heads into a freaking brick wall," he said as he stalked over.

"-and you know it's true!" Aaron was saying.

"Oh, like hell it is, you filthy liar!" Blake sneered back.

"Yeah? Really think you can argue?"

"Screw you! Oh wait, I never would."

Drew winced. That one would leave a mark. Rolling his eyes, he slammed his hands down on the table. "Wanna explain yourselves? Or shall I just whoop both your asses and have you both apologize to the manager?"

"This prick just said he was the only one who would ever, in his words, 'put up with me!'" Blake exclaimed, pointing at Aaron.

"Like it isn't true! Honestly, he can be a nightmare! How on earth do you manage to still be his friend?" Aaron said.

"Because," Drew said, grabbing Blake's hand, "I happen to really love him. And maybe when you can pull your head out of your ass, you can see why."

And with that, he pulled Blake out of the café.

Drew fumed. "What a jerk! I honestly thought he was sorry! He looked sorry, he acted sorry, he said he was sorry. Deserves a friggin' Oscar for that performance."

"I don't get it; am I really a pain to get along with?" Blake said, sounding very upset.

"'Course not, Sweetie. He just said that because he's an insecure prick."

"I'm never dating again," Blake said, wiping his nose. "I feel like such a child right now."

"Breakups are hard. Don't worry, you'll find someone much, much, much better! Do your best not to be like me and become a hard-hearted asshole, though."

Blake laughed, "You're not an asshole."

Drew rolled his eyes. "Sure. I'm in such a mood for coffee right now; Starbucks?"

Blake brightened. "Yeah!"

Drew smiled at his friend, ignoring the buzz of his phone in his pocket.