Chapter Forty-Three

Asher

We made our way to yet, another coven. So far, we don't have any leads. Its been a week since I've spoken to Eve. Brian has been giving me updates on her. She helps with training and of course, the pack loves her. They have the house fully stocked with her favorite chips and soda. Kiss asses.

Dr. Nale's phone rang, ending the silence in the car. He pulled the device out of his coat and answered the call. Before he even got a greeting in, a panicked voice roared into the phone. "Dr. Nale. Something's wrong with Eve!" Brian said in a rush.

"What is-"

Dr. Nale was cut off by Peyton's loud voice. "Don't close your eyes!" she demanded. "Stay awake!"

I snatched the phone out of Dr. Nale's hand and put it on speaker. "Put her on the phone" I ordered. I heard shuffling. "Baby. Eve?" I said.

"Asher?" she shakily whispered. Brian started yelling at her to keep her eyes open. I heard a few light smacks. Probably, them trying to keep her awake.

"Stay awake, baby. Where does it hurt?" I murmured. Eve's loud scream scared everyone that was in the car. Carlos slammed on the breaks, I dropped the phone, and everyone jumped in fright. I winced, knowing that Eve was hurting. Her wall was still up, so I couldn't feel it if she was in pain.

"Her stomach. Its her stomach" Hope said quickly.

Dr. Nale picked the phone off the ground and held it up. "What happened?" he questioned. I ran my hand through my hair, slightly gripping it in frustration.

"I don't know. She said that the chips smelt weird, then she threw up" Britney answered. The chips were probably spoiled.

Another scream echoed through the phone. "Make it stop! Make it stop!" Eve yelled.

"Eve said that the smell was bad?" Dr. Nale questioned. No one answered, but he asked another question. "Is she pregnant?"

Pregnant. We had sex the night before I left and the days before that. But we used protection. I think. Majority of the time we did. "Crap! Eve! Wake up! Get up!" Everyone started shouting on the other line. "Dammit! Open your eyes!" Brian yelled.

"What's going on?!" I asked. "What happened?"

There was more shuffling until Hope answered. "Eve passed out. She's still breathing, but she fainted or something" she explained. That barely eased my worries.

"You need to put her in a bed. Get a warm cloth and rub it on her back and stomach" Dr. Nale instructed. "We'll be there in a few hours"

Carlos turned the car around and started driving to the pack house.

*****

I jumped out the car and into the pack house. Wordlessly, I passed Brian and Peyton who were sitting in the living room. All I cared about was going to my mate. The first time I've heard her voice in a week was when she could barely talk. She was in so much pain; but since she had her wall up, I couldn't feel any of it. At first, she couldn't even talk; then she was screaming in pain. Hope said that Eve's still resting, but I need to see her.

I took the steps two at a time. I rushed into my bedroom and glanced around. Matthew was asleep on the couch, Shawn was sitting on a chair with a sleeping Britney on his lap, and Hope was standing over the bed. She was gently stroking a towel on Eve's body. I got closer to the bed and looked down at her covered stomach.

Hope continued to massage my mate with the cloth whilst I sorted through my thoughts. Eve can't really be pregnant. We used protection, almost all the time. We forgot one time, but that couldn't really get her pregnant. "One time is all it takes" Hope muttered as if she read my thoughts.

Sighing, I took Eve's hand and placed a short kiss on it. Dr. Nale came in a few moments later. "Alright. So I am going to need everyone to be completely silent. No noises at all" he said sternly. Everyone nodded and Hope put the towel down in a bowl. We were all quiet, but Dr. Nale didn't even move.

After a few minutes of him just standing there, I spoke. "Shouldn't we find out what's wrong with Eve?" I questioned. It came out rather rudely, but this involves my mate, so I didn't really care.

Hope rolled her eyes at me. "You're so clueless" she muttered. "He's listening to the heartbeats. There's seven of us in the room, including Eve. So if we hear more than seven heartbeats, then there's a baby inside of her" she explained. That's why we're supposed to be silent. I sheepishly grinned and focused my hearing.

I heard two steady heartbeats coming from Britney and Matthew. I heard my heart beating with anxiety along with Hope's and Shawn's. Dr. Nale's heartbeat was beating regularly, unlike the rest of us. And finally, Eve's heartbeat. It was soft and I strained my ears to find another heartbeat. Honestly, I was scared and excited at the same time.

Our child is supposed to be in danger, so we were supposed to kill the witch before we even tried to have a kid. Now we have four or five months to find the witch and kill them. If I can't find the asshole before my kid is born, then we're absolutely screwed. Aside from the witch shit, if Eve is really pregnant, then she's gonna be a mother and I'm gonna be a father. Unlike most men, I'm not scared of fatherhood. I'm quite thrilled about being a father. Growing up, I idolized my father. He was an amazing Alpha and the best father I could ever ask for. When I was younger, I dreamt of being like him. I wanted to follow in his footsteps. And that's what I'll plan to do.

I closed my eyes and focused my ears. The faint sound of another heartbeat came from Eve's body. It was a little fast, like right after the other, no pauses. But it proved that there's a baby. "Holy crap" I whispered. I slowly lifted up Eve's shirt and stared at her toned stomach. "My baby is in there" I stated, my eyes never leaving my mate's body.

"Congratulations, Alpha" Dr. Nale said with a smile on his face. I shook my head in disbelief before kissing Eve's stomach. Another person that has my DNA is in there.

I lifted my head off of Eve's body and her eyes slowly fluttered open. "Asher?" she asked, her voice raspy. Hope grabbed a cup of water and handed it to me. I helped Eve sit up before bringing the glass to her lips. She gulped the whole thing down. "My mouth tastes like a sweaty gym sock" she stated. How does she know what a sweaty gym sock tastes like? A laugh escaped my lips and Eve cracked a smile. "We need to throw out those chips"

Chuckling, I shook my head. "The chips are still good" I stated. Eve's eyebrows knitted together in confusion, and her nose scrunched up as she remembered the stench. She looked so adorable. Her little button nose and her beautiful eyes. Her hair was in a weird looking ponytail, but she was still stunning.

Hope cleared her throat. "Stop eye-raping each other. Aren't you gonna tell her?" she questioned. Eve blushed and looked at me expectantly.

I pointed to my ears. "Listen" I whispered. She gave me a curious glance before closing her eyes and focusing her hearing. After a few minutes, she gasped and her hands flew down to her stomach.

"What... how... there's a... its a..." she mumbled, unable to even form a complete sentence.

I leaned forward and pressed my lips to hers. After a short, passionate kiss, I pulled away with a huge smile on my face. "We're having a baby" I stated. Eve gently rubbed her stomach. Slowly, her lips turned up into a smile.

"You're gonna be a dad" she stated. I nodded and placed my own hand on her stomach. "I'm gonna be a mom" Eve said slowly. Again, I nodded my head. "Asher" she whispered.

I smiled at my beautiful mate. "Yes, baby?" I asked softly. She looked so excited, so happy.

"We're gonna be parents!"