1.

"No, Fred! Wake up! You can't leave me, please!" She cried, shaking the boy's shoulder desperately.

As Hermione stared at his lifeless eyes she realized two things: Percy and George felt the same way as she did, clinging to their brother's arm and sobbing violently; The girl would instantly kill anyone who came near Fred Weasley's body in cold blood. She now understood what Bellatrix told Harry about Unforgivable Curses. You have to mean it. Harry nudged her shoulder, asking her to follow.

"Go ahead." Hermione whispered. "Kill Voldemort for me, for Fred."

After hesitating, Harry and Ron threw the Invisibility Cloak on themselves and disappeared. George, Percy and she just sat in the middle of a fully fledged battle clutching a dead body. Tears streaked her cheeks. It wasn't fair. Not for Fred to die so young, not for George to have to see his twin being ripped away from him so harshly, not for Percy to live with the guilt of being a bad brother, not for her to lose the boy she loved. Percy dragged George out of the way of harm, not wanting to have another brother taken away from him. Hermione stayed. She pressed her forehead to his chest, seeking his warmth. He was cold as stone.

"Please, Fred. Come back to me. I know it's easier to let go, but you have to fight to get back. We need you. I need you." Her voice broke. "Remember when you and George tried to enter the Triwizard Tournament by using age potion? Don't let your brother grow old alone. And when you set your fireworks' display and fled Hogwarts? Do you remember each and every one of your pranks on Filch? You and George are a duo act, you can't leave him alone. You are Ron and Ginny's favourite brothers. You are my favourite person. I love you, Fred. Don't leave."

She sobbed into his shirt. Lucius Malfoy was behind her, dueling Tonks. At first, she ignored them, but when she heard him mutter a killing curse she whirled on him.

"Sectumsempra!" She shouted.

He was so surprised, he didn't react in time. He crumpled to the ground clutching his stomach.

"No - Mione don't." A voice croaked behind her.

She recognized it. She spun, but Fred looked the same as before. Hermione forgot Malfoy and Tonks as she buried her head in Fred's shirt again. She jumped back because she was sure she'd felt a heartbeat, even if faint. Fred was opening his eyes and grinning.

"You're alive!" She screeched.

"So it seems. You told me not to give up." He stated.

"You heard?" Hermione stammered.

"You actually said it? I was referring to a 'dream'." The Weasley boy raised an eyebrow. "You also said you loved me."

"Did I?" She muttered, feeling a blush creeping onto her face.

"Where's George?" He asked.

She was grateful for the change of subject.

"Percy dragged him away so he didn't get killed too." She told him.

Fred relaxed. She took a moment to look at him without him noticing: similar to all the Weasley children, he had a head of flaming-red hair and abundant freckles. He had a shorter and stockier build, like his brothers George and Charlie, rather than a tall, thin build like Bill, Percy, and Ron. However, Fred was taller than Harry and her and was still above average height. As he opened his eyes she stared at his face: blue eyes, big nose and chapped lips.

"Like what you see?" He teased.

She sighed and resolved herself to dragging him out of harm's way. She set him down next to a gargoyle.

"I need to find the others." Hermione whispered.

"And leave me here? Not a chance." He stated.

"Fred-" She started to say.

She was interrupted by his mouth on hers, soft and warm and sweet. After a moment of shock she kissed back, their lips dancing together slowly.

"I've wanted to do that for so long... " He said as they broke apart.

"What?" She questioned.

"Since your fourth year, I've had a massive crush on you. So did Ron, so I backed off. He still hasn't made a move so I figured I would myself." He continued to ramble in a very un-Fred-ly way.

She motioned for him to be quiet.

"Funny because I have been crushing on you for a long time too... Probably since you started making those Skiving Snackboxes. Obviously, I was against your testing them on first-years, but I admired the work you'd put behind those things. I thought it was pure genius."

"Of course it was!" He exclaimed, giving her a crooked grin.