Code XXXII: Torment

Open your eyes.

"..."

You slumber as the others toil.

"I..."

This proves your weakness.

"No!" Xora cried, her eyes snapping open. Her chest was heaving, hands at her sides balled into tight fists. "Wha...? Where am I?" She flexed her fingers and shook her legs, surprised to that find her injuries had somehow disappeared completely. Not only that, she wasn't at the mansion anymore.

She stood upon cold, black tiles made of what seemed to be obsidian, but the walls and cieling had no edges; instead, they were replaced with an endless realm of what seemed like space. Stars dotted the surrounding canvas, revealing what little light they could as Xora spun in her spot, gazing around in both awe and puzzlement.

"Xora," a familiar voice called, drawing her attention. She whipped around to find the chilled tile flooring had extended far ahead of her, like the floor of a ballroom, a silhouette standing at the far end. "Xora... oh, poor Xora."

"Who's there?!" she cried out, glad to feel the fabric of her jumpsuit against her skin as she shifted. She held her arms out in front of herself protectively. "Show yourself!"

"I don't have to." The dark figure began to walk to Xora, their strides long and leisurely. "Actually, I don't think I should have to, am I right?"

Xora was suddenly filled with fear; a cold, absolutely gripping fear that invaded her body like a disease. "Stay away!" Without knowing why, without thinking clearly, without seeing what was in front of her, she spun around and began to run. She pumped her legs with all of her might, dashing away as quickly as she could, but in this dark chamber, it looked as if she were never really moving.

"Why are you running?" the dark shadow asked her, the voice light and taunting. It seemed to be getting closer. "Are you afraid? You shouldn't be afraid."

Every now and then Xora stumbled, tripping over her own legs, losing her breath, but she leapt right back up onto her feet and began sprinting again. Not once did she look back, in fear of the demon appearing only a hair's breath away. Her head was spinning from lack of oxygen; she was exerting herself far more than what she should've been. Every joint ached, every muscle was sore, her brain was absolutely fried—she wanted to collapse.

But she knew she couldn't.

Just when Xora thought she would fall, she rammed straight into an invisible wall—one she had not seen—one she could not see. Her nose and forehead smacked right against it and threw her backwards. She held her head, fumbling as blood trickled from her nose.

"Oh, darling," the voice came again. Xora whipped around, frozen in fear, her back pressed firmly against the wall. "Oh, you pitiful little creature. Why do you run?"

"Stay back!" Xora screamed with as much force as she could, her body trembling harshly. "I swear it, if you do not—"

"You should not be afraid of me, for I am—" The figure was close now, though their steps were slow, and finally Xora could see them with the light of the stars. "—You."

And it was. It was a perfect reflection of herself, wearing the same exact uniform with the same exact choppy, dark hair, the same empty, cyan eyes... no. The other Xora's eyes were not empty, not one bit; they were filled with utter malice.

"You are weak," the reflection growled, her sinister smile dropping into a glower. "You don't understand how weak you are. You say you are strong, and you are percieved as so strong, but are you really?" She stepped closer, their faces mere inches apart. "You can barely withstand it whenever Levi even dares to try someone like you. You're unable to forget and learn from your past, and instead, are afraid of it. You're afraid of me. The reflection of you who I strong. The you who can rid of these useless emotions and tears to finish the mission. The you who can do the impossible!"