Claw Machine

Toga walked around the empty room, looking for something, anything to keep her occupied. Everyone was asleep but she wasn't tired. She sat down and glared at the door, tilting her head at it as she did so, as if it had been rude to her in some way. That door was keeping her trapped inside, and she couldn't take being inside anymore.

"It'll just be a little walk." She whispered to herself, jumping up. She walked over to the door and stopped, thinking for a moment before reaching up and pulling the tiny hair ties from her head, letting her blonde hair fall around her shoulders and down her back. She smiled to herself and slowly opened the door, stepping outside and looking at the dark sky. She smiled and closed the door, starting her walk.

Bakugou was also awake, staring at his ceiling and unable to sleep. He was beginning to dread seeing Izuku and Inko. What would he say to Inko? And what if Izuku just stayed mad at him? He wouldn't blame him though.

Bakugou finally got up out of his bed and pulled on pants and a sweatshirt, walking out of his room. A walk would wear him out. He quietly left the house, letting his hands find his pockets as he began his walk. It was cooler out tonight, which made the walk nicer. Bakugou mindlessly walked towards town, not really knowing where he was going to walk to. Anywhere seemed fine as long as he got home before morning rolled around.

At some point, he had looked up from the sidewalk, having walked into town already. He looked at the store to the side of him and noticed a girl looking into a claw machine that sat outside. She seemed fixated on it, all the while digging through her pockets to find change.

When she found nothing, Toga huffed to herself and turned to look around on the ground for a couple of quarters. She stopped when she saw Bakugou, the both of them suddenly freezing out of surprise. Toga slid her foot back a little to leave, Bakugou panicking to himself as she did so.

"Hey wait a minute!" He said it a little louder than he'd wanted to, but Toga stopped, looking at him.

He shifted his weight and pulled a dollar from his pocket, starting to walk over. "I have a dollar if you wanna give it a try."

Toga looked over at the machine, nodding slightly.

Bakugou nodded back and slipped the dollar into the slot, stepping out of the way as music began to come from the machine.

Toga stepped up to the machine and grabbed the joystick, moving the claw to hover over a purple bunny. She tapped the red button and stepped back as the claw moved down. It wrapped around the stuffed animal's head, sliding off as the claw lifted. The claw went back to its original place and stayed. Bakugou looked down at the little screen, then at Toga. "You have a second try."

Toga shrugged slightly and looked at him. "I don't think I can get it."

Bakugou nodded and looked at the bunny. "Do you want me to try?"

Toga tilted her head slightly, following Bakugou's gaze to the toy, then nodded. "Yeah."

Bakugou nodded and grabbed the joystick, moving the claw over to the rabbit. Toga stood closely, watching the claw move. Bakugou pressed the little red button and down the claw went, wrapping around the bunny's body. It picked it up and moved over to the box, dropping it in. The both of them let out a breath at the same time, looking at each other in surprise.

Bakugou cleared his throat, kneeling down to the prize box and pulling the stuffed animal out. He held it out to Toga and she smiled, taking it and hugging it happily.

"Do you need someone to walk you home?" Bakugou asked, focused on the toy bunny. Toga looked up at him and thought for a second, shaking her head. "I don't wanna go home yet."

"Really? It's kinda late don't you think?"

Toga nodded and laughed. "Then shouldn't you be home too?"

Bakugou blinked and stuffed his hands into his pockets. "I should...."

"...But?" Toga smiled, stepping a bit closer.

"It's kind of a personal issue." Bakugou looked at Toga's smile, noticing her sharp canines.

"Oh," Toga said, stepping back. "Mine is too."

Bakugou grinned. "What a coincidence."

Toga nodded and looked around. "Wanna just walk together?"

"Where?"

"Just anywhere I guess. Not home though."

"That works for me." Bakugou nodded.

Toga smiled and started walking. Bakugou followed, looking down at the blonde girl's skirt. "You're wearing your uniform. Did you just not go home?"

Toga looked down at her skirt and sweater. "I was, I just didn't change before leaving." She shrugged.

"Why?"

Toga squeezed the rabbit lightly, stopping and watching the ground as she tried to conjure up some sort of reply.

"Is that part of your personal issue?" Bakugou stopped and bent down slightly, looking at her face.

She looked over at him and nodded, starting to walk again. "What's your name?"

"Bakugou Katsuki."

Toga nodded. "Toga."

"Alright." Bakugou yawned.

"Are you tired?" Toga looked over at the ash blonde boy.

"Eh, just a little." He shrugged, pushing his hands into his pockets.

Toga nodded and walked over to a bench, sitting down. Bakugou followed and sat next to her, watching as she examined the stuffed animal's ears, running her fingers along the soft plush. He sat back, crossing his arms and looking at Toga's hair. It was a pale yellow color, and decently long besides her bangs.

"What do you think I should call him?" Toga asked, turning to look at Bakugou. She stopped and smiled, scooting closer to the now sleeping boy. Toga looked down at the plush in her lap, lifting it to lightly bump Bakugou's cheek with its plastic nose. She smiled and sat back, hugging the bunny and watching the clouds above them.

*

Bakugou rubbed his eyes, pulling his ringing phone out from his pocket and holding it up to his ear. "Hello?"

"Where are you at? It's three in the morning and your shoes are gone. You're not in your room, where are you?" His mother's voice came from the other end, sounding panicked but trying to stay calm.

Bakugou moved to sit up, stopping as he realized that Toga was leaning against his side, also asleep. "I couldn't sleep and went for a walk. I'll be home shortly. I promise."

Mitsuki sighed on the other end. "Just get here safely."

"I will." Bakugou hung up the call and put his phone back into his pocket, looking over at Toga. He held her shoulder and lightly shook her.

"Hm?" She mumbled.

"It's three, we should probably go home."

Toga leaned into his side a bit more, still half asleep. "I can't right now...." She trailed off.

"What do you mean by that?" Bakugou asked, starting to get up.

Toga sat up and rubbed her eyes, looking at him. She noted the strange look he was giving her and tilted her head slightly. "What?"

"You just said you couldn't go home right now."

"Oh.... I thought you said something else." Toga giggled, getting up. She wrapped her arms around Bakugou, trapping him in a hug and smiling up at him. "Let's hang out again."

Bakugou nodded, the sudden contact having surprised him. "Okay."

Toga let out a hum and waved, starting to walk away. "Bye Katsuki!"

"Bye." He called back. He started walking towards home, slipping his hands into his pockets as he watched the ground. "Toga." He quietly mumbled to himself.

"Cute."

1289 words