16. Birthday Wishes In Hospitals

(The next day; June fourth.)

I pressed my hands against the cool wooden armrests belonging to the light blue colored chair, staring at the wall ahead of me. I could hear quiet conversation from around the corner and in the room behind me. I lifted my legs up to my chest, hugging them against me as I buried my teary eyes into my pants. My mother, who was sitting silently beside me, took the opportunity to rub my back in comfort, but I shifted my shoulders to distinguish that I didn't want to be touched at the moment, so she moved her hand away.

Suddenly a man in a white coat with light gray hair and thin wire glasses resting at the end of his long crooked nose exited the room beside us. "Miss Murray?" he said, his voice low and raspy.

Both me and my mom stood up, then she sat back down, realizing that she wasn't the Mrs. Murray that was needed in this situation.

"Are you Olivia?" the doctor asked. I nodded. He pursed his lips, gesturing towards the door. "Go ahead in. Shawn would like to see you." he stated, then he turned to walk away, but I stopped him.

"Wait, can you explain the accident first, and all his injuries?" I asked eagerly.

"Ah, yes, of course, sorry. I'm doctor Norris, by the way. Anyway," he pivoted back around on his heels to face me. "Shawn didn't stop at a stop sign and a truck ran into the left side of his vehicle. Shawn's foot--being on the gas--got smashed in the impact. He broke his lateral cuneiform bone and cuboid. Nothing too bad, though. We've already put the cast on, and it should take about two weeks minimum to heal. He'll be fine if he takes his pain medicines that he already knows about. Also, apparently he was supposedly talking on the phone with someone. Not something I'd suggest to do while driving. We get a lot of people in wrecks because of it. He also received some minor cuts along his face and left arm from the glass shattering from the window, but they shouldn't be much a problem. Really, just some bandaids could easily do the trick." Doctor Norris explained as he flipped through the pages on his clipboard.

"Oh," I squeaked.

"Is that what you wanted to know?"

"Um, y-yes. I think. Thanks," I stuttered.

I swallowed hard before opening the heavy door, entering the cold room. It was completely noiseless besides the slight beeping from his heart rate that occurred once every second.

My eyes landed on the figure laying in the bed. His leg was in a dark blue cast and was elevated, and his face obtained small cuts from glass that shattered onto him.

As my feet hit the ground and I neared Shawn, my guilt began to bubble in my gut.

"Hi, baby," I said quietly as I sat in the chair beside him, taking in his damaged features.

His eyes blinked open and he looked at me and smirked at what he saw. "Olivia," he breathed.

"I'm so sorry, Shawn. This is all my fault." I confessed.

He shook his head, reaching for my hand. I gladly took his hand, intertwining out fingers. I squeezed (idiotically) realizing it was his left hand and it had open wounds on it. He winced in pain, so I softened the hold, apologizing.

"Listen, it was all my fault. I lost my temper over something really stupid. I just want Evelyn out of my--our lives. I--" he scooted around to get comfortable. "Look, I'm in love with you, Olivia, and I don't want my ex-girlfriend to get in the way of what we can have." he explains.

I gaze into his eyes as I crack a smile, leaning in to press my lips gently to his, trying not to hurt him, though I could feel the scab of a cut above his lip.

He flinches beneath my touch and I pull away swiftly. "I feel like everything I'm trying to do is hurting you," I chuckled.

"It sucks." he laughed in response.

I began staring at his foot. "So... two weeks, huh?" I commented.

"Two weeks of torture. I'll have to wear crutches. But at least it's not my arm. I can still play guitar." he explained happily.

"So where are your parents?" I asked, trying not to push it if the subject was sensitive.

"Mom came earlier but had to pick Aaliyah up from school, and my dad had to go to work. They both visited me and stuff, though." he explained.

"Oh. So, how are you? Does it hurt?" I asked worriedly.

"No, I'm fine. But enough about me, today is June fourth, is it not?" He raised his eyebrow and smirked.

"Shawn..." I whined obsequiously.

"Happy birthday!" he cheered loudly, making me blush. He sat up in his bed and took my face in his hands, kissing me.

"I told you I wouldn't forget it." he whispered as he pulled away, smiling.

"Didn't that hurt? Kissing me?" I giggled.

"Yes, it did, but that shouldn't stop me."

Then he attempted to get his leg out of the band that was keeping it escalated, making me laugh as he finally extracted it and then crawled out of the hospital bed. I handed him a pair of crutches I found leaned against the wall behind me and he crutched his way out of the room.

"Hi, Mrs. Murray." Shawn greeted my mom politely once he made it out the door. She looked shocked, but then she laughed.

"Hi, Shawn. I've heard much about you," she replied.

"Well, if you don't mind I was wondering if I could take your daughter to that arcade across the street."

"How are you going to get home?" she replied.

"I'll call my dad to pick us up."

"Well, that sounds fair. You guys have money?"

Shawn nodded and I shook my head, so my mom giggled as she pulled a twenty dollar bill out of her purse and handed it to me. "That's coming from your bank account," she teased.

"Thank you. It was nice meeting you, Mrs. Murray." Shawn smiled. Then we walked (and crutched) out of the hospital without telling the doctors anything and we crossed the street to the arcade. I couldn't hold Shawn's hand or have him put his arm around me, but he was with me and that was all I wanted, so I was happy. As long as he was with me I was good.