Part Eleven: Talk and Discussion

Zero, Headmaster and I were making dinner when Yuki walked in.

"Oh Yuki. Good, you're here. Dinner's going to be late so why don't you go and take a bath?"

"Oh, sure."

Ever since the events with Hanabusa, there seemed to have been a sort of mysterious distance between Yuki and Zero. He hadn't said anything about it to me, but I knew something was up. Had Yuki told Zero about what I said about Kaname? I sure hoped not.

Zero returned to cutting the food and I came next to him. I wrapped my arms around him and he did the same. I hugged Zero quite casually, but he could tell there was something wrong with me.

"What's wrong, Serrie?"

"Zero, you've been so distant with Yuki recently. Is anything I should know?"

"Headmaster, give us a few minutes."

"Oh sure. Take all the time you need."

I rolled my eyes. What was it with people? They seriously needed to calm down.

"Serena, Yuki asked me if her heart would be stronger, has she been turned into a Vampire."

"Yuki said that?"

"Yes. Even if she knows how I feel. But I must know, Serena, have you had any influence on Yuki concerning Vampires?"

"No! Zero, I'm not like Yuki. I won't turn my back on you. Even if I do ever fall in love with a Vampire-"

"What did you say?!"

"But that won't ever happen! I promise! I could never love a Vampire. They're beasts in human form."

"Like me?"

"No! Not like you, Zero. You're different. You care for humans and you try to control yourself! You were angry with yourself for hurting me. Even when I was alright with it. You have compassion, Zero. And that's why I love you."

I leaned in and kissed Zero softly and we turned to see the Headmaster standing in the doorway.

"Zero, you have no idea the joy a father has at the sight of his own son in love."

"I know you raised me, but I don't remember ever becoming your son. Besides, you have no business my personal life."

"You're right, Zero. It isn't any of my business."

We then returned to simple silence with casual small talk to avoid awkward pauses. When dinner was done, Zero went to check on Yuki and I went outside where there were some sweet-smelling roses. I took some and arranged them in a nice order with lillies and lilacs on the table.

Then I went back to see where Zero and Yuki were. I heard voices coming from near the bathroom and I opened to see Yuki on the floor, naked and shaking, holding onto Zero.

"Serena? I'm sorry, I-"

"It's fine, Yuki. But you really shouldn't be lying out here like this. At least wear a robe so you won't catch a cold."

I wrapped the warm, blue robe around Yuki and she held me in a grasping grip. But I could hear small sobs between her words.

"Serena, be happy to have Zero. And don't ever turn your back away from him. Your relationship is helping me deal with all that's going on. Please, stay close."

"Yuki, we have no intention on leaving in you in the dust. Serrie and I are your friends."

"If I was to do that, I wouldn't even be worthy of him in the first place. Yuki, whatever the problem is, we can help."

"Serena, I'm haunted. I don't know where I came from. Or who I am. What if my parents were killed by Vampires? What will I do then? Or if they're still alive."

"I told Yuki that we should go check the records. At the Hunter Headquarters, she might find something new."

"It's a good idea. I'll come too. Maybe there's something I might learn as well."

I'll also show you a sweet dream... Next night.