CHIHIRO

The sun was beginning to dim as I trudged through the jagged rocky road. I wiped the sweat from my forehead as the tunnel started to appear over the next hill. My heart leaped in excitement.

Finally, after what felt like days, I stood at the base of the creaking building. Just like it did 10 years ago, it sounded like it was moaning, and the statue I stood beside made me cringe. I looked up at it as a soft zephyr blew in my hair, making some strands fall from the ponytail and into my face. I pushed them behind my ears.

I peered into the tunnel. It was long, narrow, and creepy; not much as changed. I fixed my backpack on my shoulders, took a deep breath, and began my journey to the other side.

The wind picked up behind me, echoing in the limited space. The soft howling made me shiver and walk a little faster. Even at the age of 20, the littlest things scared me. The walls were damp, probably from the recent rainstorm we had, and it made the air in the tunnel much cooler. I rolled my sleeves back down, rubbing my arms with my hands.

Sunlight and warmth appeared as I neared the end. Staring around the supposed abandoned building, memories started to come back. I could just see my parents and my younger self, heading for the exit. The Spirit World.

Haku.

Immediately, my eyes went straight to the green grass outside. I ran out there and breathed in the air. It felt great to be back; however, I wasn't there entirely. The Spirit World was only active for humans to see it during the night. I looked up at the sunset. It was almost time. I made my way through the pasture and over the quiet stream, where a great river would appear when the moon came up.

I entered into the village, and suddenly, the smell of freshly cooked meat and other foods aroused. I scoffed, knowing what would happen if I followed my nose and ate it: I'd turn into a pig.

Overhead was the peak of the bathhouse. I could hear water running already. My mind raced and my heart sped its pace. This was it, the moment I've been dreaming of since I left this place.

I'm coming, Haku, I thought as I made my way to the bridge.