XXI - Alesia

Max and Iatus looked at the space where the portal had been with utter disbelief.

Seeing their faces Jalec burst out laughing at them, "Have you not seen a portal before? Are Roman magi really that weak?"

"Now, Jalec, stop teasing them," a voice from behind them said and they turned around.

The great wooden doors of the hall hung open and in the doorway stood a giant of a man, wearing only a fur coat across his shoulders, leaving his muscled torso prominently on display. His face had a long, straight scar down one side and his dark hair hung down, almost covering his eyes.

"Welcome, my friends, let me take those filthy restraints off, I am Urien," he said gently, his voice was quiet and calm.

He gestured with his hand and the ropes slipped easily off their wrists.

Iatus instinctively went to shout a spell but man only had to glance at him and suddenly Iatus felt the air rush from his lungs. Gasping, he fell to one knee. Max rushed to his side and put a hand on his back.

"Iatus! What did you do to him?"

The man just smiled sadly, "I'm sorry, but we can't have you making a scene."

"How..." Iatus wheezed.

"How what? Oh, how I use magic without speaking? As dramatic as it is to shout the spells out, it is far simpler to just think them, or whisper them if you can't quite manage that. Romans, I'm afraid, never quite learned the value of discretion. Now, young Iatus here looks like he could do with some fresh air, why don't you join me out in the forum?"

Urien turned out of the hall into the morning light.

Iatus finally managed to get his breath back enough to stand up straight. Max was looking at him concerned and helped him to follow Urien outside.

They were in a city, not as big as Rome, but it was certainly larger than a town. They found themselves in a Roman style forum, except that the buildings were made of wood, not stone, and the architecture was different, simpler. People bustled about, just like in any other city, laden with objects for trade and going about chores.

"So, what do you think of our fair city?" Urien asked.

"It's... nice," Max said carefully.

Urien laughed, "It is not as grand as Rome, I am sure, but it is home. Let's get some seats out here."

Two men hurried out of the hall bearing chairs under each arm.

"Take a seat and perhaps some refreshments after your long journey?" he said easily and sat facing the hall.

"Why are we here?" Iatus asked, recovered again.

"Ah, I see you are one who likes to get right to the point, but I, unfortunately, have a certain weakness for long and drawn out point-making. So, come, sit with me, and watch my city," Urien said, gesturing for them to sit opposite him.

Iatus was loathed to do anything the man said but he was still feeling light headed from the man's spell so he took a seat and Max followed suit.

"The Romans have done many things for the people of Gaul, and we are thankful for that, but, at what cost do we receive these gifts, do you think?"

Urien looked at Iatus expectantly.

"There is no cost," Iatus said, "They are civic works, paid for by the senate."

"Is that really true? Is cost just paid in silver?"

Iatus frowned, uncomprehending.

"The people you see around you? What do you see?"