Chapter 13

The bell rings and me and Charlie head off down the corridor towards our first class of the day

"So," she says, arching an eyebrow. "Are you going to tell me what that was all about? Do you know that guy?"

I shrug, feeling the cryptic message from Cal rub against my leg through my jeans pocket.

Am I really going to meet him after school? What does he mean - training in the arts of the cupids?

"Not as such," I say.

I don't really want to tell her about yesterday. Even if she does believe in any of it - Charlie loves a relationship drama; she'll be unbearable if she thinks I have been matched with someone other than my boyfriend. 

Especially if he's hot enough for her to sprint across the school to tell me about him.

She looks at me and raises an eyebrow.

"Nice dress," I say with an innocent smile.

It's shameless attempt to change the subject but it does look good on her; it's a flowing pastel pink number which compliments her dark skin tone. She rolls her eyes but I can tell she is pleased; I know that she will have bought it especially for first day back at school.

"Don't change the subject Miss!" she says. "You haven't....like...made out with him or something have you....?"

She looks stern but her eyes are twinkling excitedly.

I can't help but laugh.

Make out with Cal?! I don't think so!

I shake my head as we approach the classroom door, I can see my boyfriend James through the window.

"Leave it now," I say quickly as we step inside. "I don't want James getting the wrong idea."

Charlie looks at me then shrugs as James waves at us.

"OK," she says "But this is not over!"

He gestures at the two spare desks behind him and me and Charlie make our way towards them.

I smile.

James might not be model good looking like Cupid – but he is definitely attractive. Slightly taller than me, athletic and lightly tanned – he stands up and gives me a light kiss on the lips as I approach – wrapping his arms around my waist. He is warm, and smells like boy and aftershave; I bask in him for a moment before settling down at the desk.

"You didn't call me last night," he says.

Cal's words suddenly wash over me – your boyfriend is not your match.

I frown and shake it off.

"Sorry," I reply. "Something came up."

He shrugs and turns back towards the blackboard – continuing a conversation with one of his friends.

"Oh, your lover boy is all over Chloe," Charlie whispers – leaning over to my desk and looking a few desks in front.

I glare at her then follow her gaze. Cal is talking to one of the cheerleaders.  He must be carrying out his ingenious plan of distracting Cupid from me. She's tall and attractive with flowing blonde hair and laughs musically at something he has said.

I feel a stab of annoyance mixed with - although I hate to admit it to myself - a hint of jealousy.

So that's the sort of girl Cal deems good enough for the match. Not someone like me.

Students have been trickling in in batches for the past 5 minutes, but when the door opens now I find myself gasp involuntarily.

The whole room goes momentarily quiet.

He's wearing a black leather jacket over a grey cotton t-shirt that clings to the clear outline of a six pack. Kelly, another girl from the cheerleading team, has her arm looped into his and is laughing hysterically at something he has said. He is tall and broad, with ruffled, just got out of bed hair. His eyes are twinkling with hints of blues and greens reminding me of the ocean.

The black and white photograph nowhere near captured his beauty.

It's Cupid.

The whole class is staring at him, but his gaze falls directly on me.

A dangerous half smile curls onto his face and my stomach plummets.

I think I'm in trouble.