Sleepwalk

[A modern Zed/Kayn AU fluff fic - bonus NSFW cut included]

A long, arduous day at work had seen Zed returning home late one evening in a less than amicable mood, having arrived far later than expected and caught out in a light drizzle which did little to help his annoyance upon reaching the front door, slipping his key into the lock and hastily pushing his way inside.

As he stood in the entryway, slipping off his shoes, the warmth inside the home settled over him like a welcomed embrace, easing away the slight chill that had settled in as his clothes lightly clung to his frame. As his gaze roamed to take in the living space before him, nimble fingers loosening the tie at his neck, he noted that the majority of the house was dark save for the dim lighting emanating from a lamp in the living room where the fireplace crackled and popped gently, down the far hall that was the bedroom, and the illuminated entryway to the kitchen situated at the left side of the main room before him. He had called ahead to tell Kayn not to wait up for him but it seemed the younger man was still up and about and as Zed set his things aside on the counter near the door and made his way farther into the home, hearing faint sounds coming from the kitchen as he did so.

An old-timey melody from a small radio nestled in a corner on the kitchen counter played, filling the air along with the smell of something tasty as Kayn preoccupied himself with washing the remaining dishes from the dinner he had cooked earlier, having already eaten and stored his lover's portion away for later, humming along to the song absently to himself as his hands deftly moved about the sink. It was obvious he hadn't heard Zed come home, lost in his task and affording the older man a moment to peer in at him undetected from the kitchen entrance, simply observing for a moment. It seemed Kayn had showered earlier, long slightly damp hair lightly braided and draped over a shoulder, dressed for comfort in nothing but loose joggers and one of Zed's T-shirts that seemed almost oversized on the younger man's lithe frame.

As he continued to tidy up, placing the clean flatware and a plate into the dishrack, it was evident Kayn was more lost in the tune of the golden oldies that played than any actual thought Zed realized as he took note in the way the other gently swayed from side to side as though dancing to the melody where he stood. The older man's arm crossed lightly over his chest as he leaned his back against the door frame, content to simply watch for the moment. A glass of red wine had been sitting on the countertop beside the sink and Kayn reached for it after drying his hands upon a kitchen towel that had been resting over a shoulder, now used to absently wipe any residual moisture from around the sink, the faucet off with the task complete now rewarded with a sip.

A small smirk of amusement threatened to tug at the corner of Zed's mouth when Kayn turned around at last, realizing he had an audience watching him which brought a touch of color to his face. It was always adorable how his ears tended to redden when embarrassed. The swaying had stopped and Kayn's gaze shifted, flustered, off to the side for a moment as he stood there awkwardly before glancing back his lover's way sheepishly, swallowing some wine that had been sitting in his mouth from the initial drink he had taken. "...I didn't hear you come home."

"Good thing I wasn't an intruder then," Zed remarked, his tone a hint bemused despite his words as he teased the other lightly.

Kayn frowned, affording the white-haired man a slight squint, "... How long have you been there?" he inquired suspiciously.

Zed didn't immediately answer, thoughtfully staring at the other from across the room where he remained casually leaning. There had just been something about the way the younger man had simply enjoyed a rare and oblivious little moment to himself that had made the older forget his earlier aggravations, stirring up a deep-seated fondness instead for his partner. As Kayn quirked an imploring brow at the silence, Zed, at last, moved away from the wall to make his way over, stating simply,