sixteen

Lauren had nearly fallen asleep when she heard the apartment door slam shut and the jingle of keys, signifying that someone was home. Before she could open her mouth, Camila was already scrambling off of the bed and running down the hallway.

Confused, Lauren wiped her eyes and got up to follow the small girl. When she reached the top of the stairs, she paused.

"Dinah?" Camila's small voice echoed through the large apartment. Realizing what her girlfriend was doing, Lauren took a step backwards and quietly slipped back into the bedroom.

To say the Polynesian girl was surprised when she heard Camila call her name was an understatement. She jumped, turning around and looking at the smaller girl who had practically been avoiding her for the past few days.

"Yeah?" Dinah wasn't sure what reaction Camila would be expecting from her, but she tried to act as normal as she could.

"I..." Camila looked down at her shoes and then over at the couch. "I need to talk to you," she looked over at Normani, who was scanning the refrigerator intently. "Alone," the smaller girl added.

Normani turned around, looking from Camila to Dinah. Her and Ally had practically been Camila's shield from Lauren and Dinah for the past few days. So to say she was in shock that Camila was suddenly reaching out to Dinah would be an understatement.

"Is everything okay?" Normani asked quietly. She glanced at Dinah, who appeared to be just as confused as she was. Camila nodded quickly.

"Yes," she looked up from the ground and send Normani a hopeful look. Not wanting to interrupt anything, Normani simply grabbed a water bottle and made her way upstairs.

"Can we..?" Camila motioned over to the couch. Dinah just nodded and followed Camila into the living room, plopping down on their signature blue couch.

"What's up?" Dinah asked, brushing her hair out of her face and giving Camila her full attention. She noticed how the smaller girl squirmed in her seat awkwardly.

"I am sorry," Camila spoke hesitantly, looking up at Dinah and biting her lip. She wasn't sure what kind of reaction she was expecting. "Lauren called the doctor."

"What?" Dinah grew confused. "Why?"

"You punched me," Camila mumbled, looking down at her shoes.

"I punched you and Lauren had to call the doctor?" Dinah didn't have a clue what was going on. "We haven't even talked for the past week?"

"Exactly!" Camila jumped to her feet and shook her head, beginning to pace back and forth in an attempt to collect her thoughts.

"I remembered," Camila abruptly stopped walking and turned to face Dinah. "I remembered you. At school... and you..." she involuntarily brought her hands up to cup her nose. Dinah realized what she was referring to almost instantly.

"Fuck," the Polynesian girl cursed under her breath and shook her head. "I-,"

"I know," Camila cut her off, stepping forwards in a burst of courage. "Do not say sorry. Do not." The smaller girl shook her head and held up a finger to signal for Dinah to wait.

"I am remembering," Camila continued after taking a deep breathe. "But... I do not understand much," the small girl bit her lip and looked down. "But I am trying."

"As long as you get better," Dinah shrugged. Camila looked up in confusion.

"You can ignore me for as long as you want if it means you get better, Chancho," Dinah chuckled. "I just want you to get better. I think we all do."