Forty-Six

They trekked along the slippery slope. Suga took no chances and just carried her from the start. She giggled and squeezed him tightly. She liked it when he acted cutely protective. They found a couple of large, dry rocks and sat on them.

"So what was yesterday?" Suga asked.

"It's a long story." She warned.

"We've got time." He answered patiently.

"Well, three years ago, my mom, my dad, and I were watching TV. When my mom came in from the bathroom screaming and jumping for joy. I was totally confused and so was my dad. Apparently my mom was pregnant, and I just remember being so amazingly happy. Everyone was happy. We were going to have a new, little human tumbling around the house. It was wonderful. My mom would waddle around the house, and she always wore bright colors, and she was always smiling." She smiled at the memories that flashed from her eyes, and reflected in the pond.

"That sounds so cool." Suga breathed, intrigued.

"It was, but life sucks. So it didn't turn out so cool." She mumbled as the happy memories began to disappear and replaced themselves with black, dim, sad ones.

"What happened?" He took her hand.

"About 6 months along, my mom and dad came home from an appointment. My mother was crying hysterically and my dad just held her hand. He looked so blank. It was so scary. I kept asking them what was wrong, but neither of them would answer. My dad finally told me that my mom had lost the baby. And that, for her safety, she would have to give birth to her dead baby. I was so sad. My mom was constantly sad, my dad just worked away the pain. Soon it was just me and mom. Finally when my mom went into labor, she pulled me out from school. And I stayed with her, she held my hand and cried. My dad never showed up. He just kept working." She took a deep breath, and was silent for a few moments before continuing. "It was a she. She was buried in a polished, shiny, black box. It had beautiful white lilies on top, with a black satin bow. The casket wasn't open because, she was the color of plums since the day she was born. My mother wore a lace, black dress, and she had her hair down. My dad stayed for half the ceremony, then he went back to work or to drink. I don't know. My little sister. She was dead the day she was born. She was dead before that. I never got a chance to hold her or yell at her or hug her. Everyone says siblings are a pain, but I would give anything to have my little sister running around irritating me, anything. Maybe if she was around my mom wouldn't be so thin, my dad would say hello to me, my mom wouldn't worry because I'm all she's got left, I wouldn't blame myself for things that hurt my mother that I have no control over. I don't know. Yesterday was her birthday, or her death day. Whichever one you like."

She was in Suga's arms in a moment. She hadn't been crying, but the second he gathered her up into his arms a torrent of tears flew from her eyes. He just had that ability.

"I want my sister!" She wailed.

"I know." He patted her back. She cried for a few more minutes before saying anything more.

"I don't know what I'd do without you." She murmured. He kissed her forehead.

"You'd fall madly in love with Jimin." He joked. She hiccuped and laughed. He laughed along with her.

"Only you can do that." She kissed his cheek.

"What?" He asked.

"Cheer me up when I'm sad." She looked up at him, "It's a very good talent, I like it." He chuckled and kissed her for a long time. She rested her head against his chest and looked out over the pond.

"What time is it?" She asked finally.

"2:30." He mumbled into her hair.

"I should go. My mom..." She trailed off. She didn't want to get up, she wanted to stay with Suga until they could see the stars, and long after that. He nodded and stood. She stood and the skipped back to the trail, he carried her up the slope of course. They walked to her house in a comfortable silence. She kissed him goodbye and began to pull away. He pulled her back and kissed her again.

"I love you." He smiled.

"I love you too." She kissed him one last time.

"Bye." He waved, and she waved back. She walked into her house, and was instantly greeted by her mother.

"So you're dating that boy I see." Her mother looked at her through narrowed eyes.

Why now? Why right now?

———————————————————

(A/N)

i thot i shud update just cuz it was the weekend hehehehe