Chapter 2: Poppy's Life Begins

The sound of an upbeat guitar strums as a female field mouse gets ready to start her morning. She put on a scullery maid dress and went into the kitchen to eat a cinnamon roll for breakfast. When finished, she washed her hands and washed a dirty plate and set it down with the other clean dishes. After that, she started to sing, seeing the clock read 7 AM.

7 AM, the usual morning lineup:

Start on the chores and sweep 'til the floor's all clean.

Polish and wax, do laundry and mop and shine up.

Sweep again and by then, it's like 7:15.

She stopped to glance on the clock, which now read 7:15.

And so, I'll read a book or maybe two or three.

I'll add a few new paintings to my gallery.

I'll play guitar and knit and cook and basically,

Just wonder when will my life begin?

Poppy started reading a book called Cinderella. As she read the story, she saw herself in the character because of the predicament she was now in, but as always, she felt better upon seeing the main character finally living happily ever after with Prince Charming and leaving her wicked stepmother and ugly stepsisters. When she finished reading, she added her new paintings to her collection. Hours later, she played guitar, knitted, and started to cook lunch.

Ding!

Poppy heard the oven make a ding sound, indicating that it was finished. She went into the kitchen, smelling the wonderful aroma of cheesy potatoes and grabbed oven mitts to pull out the Potato Au Gratin dish. She set it on the stovetop to wait for it to cool and closed the oven door to avoid letting heat come out. She went into the cupboard to grab a plate and a fork from the silverware drawer. Then, she forked the Potato Au Gratin onto her plate and once it cooled down, she began to eat it. When finished, she put it in the fridge once it cooled down and that they'll be leftovers for later. Finally, she resumed her song.

Then after lunch, it's puzzles and darts and baking.

Paper-mâché, a bit of ballet, and chess.

Pottery and ventriloquy, candle making.

Then I'll stretch, maybe sketch.

Take a climb, sew a dress.

Poppy washed her hands and dried them with a towel. Then, she decided to work on a puzzle, shot darts at a target, and she baked chocolate chip cookies. Later, she did some art, ballet, and played chess with herself. After lying on the floor, she stretched and did a sketch of herself with her father, who loved her. She then climbed up a window to see what the outside world looked like and after seeing nothing going on, she decided to sew a dress.

And I'll reread the books, if I have time to spare.

I'll paint the walls some more, I'm sure there's room somewhere.

And then I'll brush and brush and brush my hair,

Stuck in the same place I've always been.

And I'll keep wonderin' and wonderin'

And wonderin' and wonderin'

When will my life begin?

Later, Poppy decided to read Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Rapunzel. Then, she painted her bedroom wall and brushed her hair.

Finally, she ran toward a window to see if anything changed. Sighing, she watched birds fly by.