Chapter Twenty-Four

“Good morning Mr. Maguire. I'm sorry I have to cancel on you again. I think this time it's for good but thank you for your consideration.” Isabella called Alex the moment they arrived at the airport and were waiting in the VIP lounge for the private jet to be ready.

“I had a feeling you were going to do so. I understand but anytime you feel like you are up for it, my doors are always open for you.” Alex's voice came through.

“Thank you. Have a good day.”

“You too.” Alex hung up.

“Who are you talking to?” Liam came from behind her and snaked his arms around her small waist then tucked his head between her neck and shoulder.

Isabella smiled and gave him a side glance. “Alexander Maguire. He and I were about to start working together.”

Isabella felt Liam's body stiffen against her. “And you did this behind my back, again.”

“It was the time you decided not to contact me.” Isabella assured him.

“It was not like that, Belle. I didn't want to get you involved in my mess.”

“Well, you should have checked with me to see if I didn't want to get involved in your mess or not. You don't get to decide what's good for me, Liam. I do that for myself, okay?”

Liam sighed and placed a kiss on Isabella's ear as they stared out the glass wall of the airport towards the different planes parked outside. “With the profits that you are going to make owning eighty percent of the Stanford shares, you don't need to work ever again.”

“So, you want me to be a stay-home girlfriend? So, why did you waste all that money sending me through school?” Isabella frowned not believing what was coming out from Liam's mouth.

“I don't want you to stay home but neither do I want you to work for someone like Alexander Maguire. You want to own a business, we'll write down a business plan, you and me, and get you started.” Liam assured her.

“What if I said I wanted my father's company back?” Isabella turned around in Liam's arms until they were face to face.

“No.” one simple word and Isabella felt like she was about to bite his head off.

“Why not!” she whined. “You said you did it to protect me but now, I don't need that protection anymore.”

“I don't want you to be in the same business line as me. I know you can handle your father's company well but I don't want you to.”

“You are unbelievable!” Isabella exclaimed incredulously. Who did he think he was to tell her what suited her. She knew what she wanted and it was to work like a good decent businesswoman!

“Belle, let's not argue about this now. We'll talk about it later, okay?” He tilted his head and eyed her carefully.

Isabella broke off from his embrace and stormed right to the other side of the lounge. She was pissed off with him. This was all she needed as she was about to have a romantic getaway with the love of her life. She glanced at the straight back of the man who drove her up the walls with his arrogance one moment and made unbelievable love to her the next. He was dressed casually in a v-neck gray t-shirt and black jeans. His expensive sunglasses were tucked on the neck of his shirt and one hand was in his pockets while the other was dialing up a number. He didn't trust her, Isabella concluded. It was funny how every time they passed on hurdle, another one would show up.

“Coffee?” A lovely woman came to her holding a tray of a tiny teapot, a cup and saucer, two ceramic containers and a plate of goodies.

“Yes, please.” Isabella nodded stilled watching Liam on the phone. He turned to his side and eyed her for a moment then concluded his phone call and approached her. “Some cream please.”