Chapter Twenty Two: Breaking and Entering

A/N: photo of Philomena at the side! Take a gander! Also, I'm gonna remake the cover, so yay! Another chapter will be up tomorrow, so get ready for a shocker!

Chapter Twenty Two

I gaped in near shock as I took in the others. It was hard for me to peel my eyes away from the back of Snape's onyx head, but the movement from the corner of my eye was intriguing; not to mention, Snape seemed to be speaking with one of them.

A fat, short, wiry-haired man stood to his right, facing partway Snape and partway the left. I couldn't really make him out, but he looked like the type to hang around with Death Eaters, which made me cringe a little, considering Snape had snuck out to this shady little pub to meet up with him.

I just had to keep reminding myself that he was playing a part. Yes, he was a Death Eater, but not really. Only so Dumbledore can get information. He's not there because he wants to be.

But oh, it still hurt to see him there with suspicious party. For the first time, my eyes wandered to the third member of the group.

And wouldn't you know it? A lean, pale, platinum blonde stood with aristocratic stature at Snape's side, hand folded over his mouth and chin in a spectator's position, as if he was simply taking in what he was seeing and hearing. I slapped George's shoulder lightly with the back of my hand.

"Lookie what we've got here." I mumbled lowly, keeping my eyes trained forward as I spoke.

The redhead snorted, watching with interest. "You'd think they were regular chums." He said, somewhat incredulous.

"Creepy blokes. Creepy place. He's probably taking his daddy's spot while he's with the Ministry." Fred added halfheartedly, and we all went silent as we watched Draco look away from the men soundlessly, seeming not to care.

I couldn't hear the spoken words clearly, though the body language of the throng was enough to get the basic gist of what was going on; at least emption wise. Snape was annoyed, that much was for certain. he had shifted to face the stubby rat-like man a bit, and his hands clenched the chair irately. The unidentifiable man spoke, his face pinched a little, and leaned in with informative justice, looking both proud and excited. Whatever he was talking about, he seemed to be pretty proud that he knew of it.

Without warning, Snape stood abruptly to his feet, sending the portly little man sloppily stumbling back a few steps. Snape jabbed at the mans chest, face formed into a tight grimace, speaking slowly and clearly. The only thing I could hear was the low, soft him of his deep voice, which send a shiver of both fear and bliss down my spine. God help that rat-like man, because I wouldn't be able to handle Snape if he hissed at me like this. Even less than this has sent me into tears.

However, I was entranced by this. I had never seen his so passionate about something, which made me itch with curiosity over it. Boy, would that be a good scoop.

Before I could think any further on the subject, Snape placed a firm hand on Draco's holder and pushed him out of view, leaving the scene and probably the pub entirely. Whatever Snape had said to the man, it had fearfully pleased him, because I nasty grin twisted his lips up.

I felt like I had seen something I really shouldn't have, though the natural part of me giggled with blackmail and victory.

Fred touched my shoulder, gesturing to the back. I looked over, expecting for him to be a bit shocked, or at least pondering what we had just seen. However, he didn't seem very interested at all. I, on the other hand, was speechless.

"Let's go check out Honeydukes now, eh?" He insisted, coaxing me along, back to the trap door whence we entered this dump. I moved along with his guidance, though my mind was stuck replaying Snape, mulling this over. As his basically obligatory girlfriend, and being in on his double-agent-Death Eater shenanigans, I should have a little insight on what he got up to, right? There's two good reasons why so should know these things. Perhaps I could approach him later today and inquire.

Then again, that would totally give away that I had snuck into here when he was around. Which, inevitably, would get me into trouble. I was faced with a tempting ultimatum, and I was considering both options heavily. Nevertheless, as the sweet scents of Honeydukes wafted around me, I was struck into delicious reality.

The three of us popped into the storage, which was needless to say, much nicer than the previous spot. Candy instead of cobwebs was always the better choice. I rubbed my hands together in mischievous triumph. "Boys, we've hit the jackpot. Spare no mercy." After all, we would end up get in caught red-handed, so why not have a little fun? Wouldn't be the first time the clerk caught us three goofing around back here, though now we had an easier and more conspicuous way to get in.

I picked up a baggie of Bertie Bots from the shelf closest to me, and tossed it between my hands. "So, what do you knuckleheads make of the little scene back at the pub?" I asked, trying my hardest to seem nonchalant and uninterested, though I was very much the opposite in actuality.

George like over his shoulder at me, utterly unphased as he shrugged. "Seemed like two creepy blokes up to creepy business." He replied, as if it were obvious to all of us.

"You know the type-- scheming little buggers." Fred added, popping a candy into his mouth easily.

As much as I wanted to raid the mother load of candy storage again, I just couldn't find the energy. I was worn out from all the thinking I was doing over Snape, and uneasy. I frowned, contemplating heading back on my own and confronting him. After all, it was the weekend, and I was free to do as I pleased; so long as it was safe and within boundaries. Both that thats stopped me before, though.

Sighing, I stuffed the beans into my jacket pocket, waving my hand dismissively. "Well, I'm outta here. See you two back in the common room." I spoke in a bored tone, mouth coming up at the corner and eyes lidded lazily. The signature carefree look.

George reached out and grabbed my arm as I made my way past him to the front door, giving me a skeptical look. "You okay, Mina? You never flake out on a good raid." He asked earnestly.

I have a cheap grin. "Of course; just not too hungry. Think I'll just go take a quick nap while you darlings hoard the goods." I woodshed through the answer easily, not showing even a hint of my true feelings.

It actually hurt a little, lying to him. But, it had to be done. George gave a half smile and pinched my arm. "Fine; Ill bring you back a Chocolate Frog, just because I know you'll want it later."

I gave his check a gentle pat. "You know me too well."

And with that, I took the storage door into the main store, glad to be ignored by customers and clerk alike as I entered the cool morning air.

Maybe a walk would be good for me. It would give me a chance to clear my head, and perhaps get a better head on my shoulders before I faced Snape. I hadn't actually spoken to him since yesterday during class, and even that wasn't actually speaking, since I only answered a class question. I needed to gather what I would actually say and do once I saw him, so I didn't play my usual gung-ho, cold turkey game. This time, I would be at least a little prepared.

Though, I wasn't prepared for coming face to face with him.