The Summer I Turned Pretty

(Opening Song)

Taylor was laying on Belly's bed as Belly was busy packing her things for their trip. She loved the months between June and August as magical things always happen. But she was always bummed that Taylor would be left alone to do things with other people.

"Drew's bummed you're missing the beach match-up with the boys' team next weekend," Taylor said as Belly stopped folding her shorts.

"Make sure you tell Sophie to square up for the block," Belly said as Taylor looked annoyed at her best friend.

"Drew Martinez is texting me about you and you're talking about volleyball? Are you serious right now?" Taylor asked as Belly looked at her this time.

"Drew doesn't care if I'm there or not. He just wants an excuse to text you. You better take that game against the boys seriously. I want all those guys eating sand. Team pride is on the line, Taylor," Belly said as Taylor knew this was how she was.

Belly had always thought about volleyball and boys were the last thing on her mind. For her, only one boy ever got on her mind, and he was hard to get out as well.

"Please. You know me better than that. I'd never let a boy beat me at anything," Taylor said as she rolls onto her stomach.

"Hey, doesn't my ass look like a peach in these shorts?" Taylor asked striking a pose on the bed, trying unsuccessfully to take a selfie that shows off her butt. Belly ignores her and plucks her swimsuit off the bed.

"I thought you came here to help me pack," Belly said.

"Fine. I'll help. Here's a tip. Don't bring that Speedo. It doesn't do a thing for your new boobs," Taylor said and takes selfies as Belly catches a glimpse of herself in the mirror.

She pulls her baggy t-shirt tighter to look at her body.

My boobs happened overnight. Like one day, they were fried eggs. The next, cantaloupes. For volleyball, they're a nuisance. For every day life, they're...not so bad.

Belly had released the fabric from her hand, tossed the one-piece into her duffel and zips it up.

"It's not a Speedo," Belly said.

"I'm just saying, babes. You need to pack cute things," Taylor said as Belly got defensive.

"I always buy a new suit when I get there," Belly said.

"Okay, then buy one that doesn't look like you're trying out for the swim team."

Belly lets out a growl and leaps on the bed with a flying elbow drop before trying to smother Taylor with a pillow. The girls are laughing so hard they can't breathe.

"Belly, we're leaving in the next 10 minutes!" Laurel yells from down stairs as Belly bolts up

"Gotta go," Belly said.

"Wait! We still have 10 minutes," Taylor said.

Taylor pulls Belly back down. She turns on her side to face her, their faces inches apart. Tenderly, she touches the freckles on Belly's nose.

"Okay, so before I let you go, you have to tell me your summer wish. The one thing you want to happen this summer," Taylor said as Belly looked at her.

I want to have my first kiss, and I want it to be with Conrad Fisher.

The thought had gone through Belly's head, but she didn't know what she truly wanted.

"I don't know," Belly ended up telling Taylor, but she knew her best friend was lying to her.