nineteen

Lauren woke up the next morning to the sound of twinkle twinkle little star on repeat. Rolling over, she rubbed her eyes and scanned the room, spotting Camila's small figure. The green eyed girl yawned and slid out of bed, trudging over and sitting next to her girlfriend.

Camila jumped when she realized Lauren was awake. She quickly moved her hands away from the keys and wiped her eyes. Lauren could immediately tell something was wrong.

"What's up?" Lauren asked in concern, finding Camila's hand and lacing their fingers together. The younger girl looked up nervously.

"I had a nightmare," Camila whispered, hanging her head down. Lauren's eyes widened.

"I thought they went away?" she asked softly, reaching up and cupping her girlfriend's cheek.

"Me too," Camila sighed.

"Wake me up next time, okay?" Lauren ran her thumb over Camila's cheek. She hated the thought of Camila waking up from one of her nightmares and being all alone. The small girl nodded softly, scooting forwards and resting her head on Lauren's shoulder.

"If it makes you feel any better, we're going to get your present today," Lauren whispered before kissing Camila's forehead. The small girl gasped, scrambling to her feet.

"Right now?" Camila asked with wide eyes. Lauren couldn't help but smile.

"As soon as you're ready," the green eyed girl slowly rose to her feet. Camila grabbed a change of clothes and hurried into the bathroom to get dressed. Groggily, Lauren changed into a heavy sweater and leggings.

After the girls ate breakfast and finished getting ready, Camila practically dragged Lauren out to her car. As they pulled out onto the road, Camila began interrogating the older girl.

"Where are we going?" Camila tilted her head to the side, watching as Lauren turned in a direction she'd never driven in before. The green eyed girl laughed, shaking her head.

"I can't tell you yet, doofus, that would ruin the surprise," Lauren raised an eyebrow. Camila pouted.

"Can I have a hint?" the small girl looked at Lauren hopefully, only to groan in frustration when Lauren shook her head.

"Patience," Lauren laughed. Camila rolled her eyes playfully, settling for leaning against the window and watching as they moved closer and closer to their destination.

The smaller girl grew even more confused when Lauren pulled into a small parking lot adjacent to a brick building.

"We're here," Lauren grinned, parking the car and sliding out of the driver's seat. The green eyed girl circled around the back of the car, grabbing a small plastic carrier. Camila studied it in confusion.

"What is this?" Camila asked, padding over to Lauren's side and pointing to the carrier.

"You'll see," Lauren laughed. Camila groaned, but eagerly followed Lauren inside the building.

"Close your eyes," the green eyed girl instructed. Camila raised an eyebrow, but decided against questioning Lauren's request. As soon as she covered her eyes with her hands, she felt a small hand on her back, leading her forwards.

Carefully, she allowed Lauren to lead her down what she presumed to be a hallway. When they stopped walking, she bit her lip.

"Open your eyes," Lauren whispered, sliding beside Camila to see her reaction. The small girl let her hands fall back to her sides, studying the room in front of her.

"Kittens?!" Camila gasped immediately shuffling forward to one of the metal cages. "Kittens?!" she repeated, turning around and looking at Lauren with wide eyes.