Prologue

One of the cons of living in Canada is definitely the weather. You'd think that in early September we'd at least be blessed with a little sun, perhaps a nice breeze holding the promise of winter. Well, you've got the next thing coming.

I sniffle in the most unattractive way possible, pulling my blanket tighter around my body. I'm currently wearing approximately 6 layers of clothing, and that doesn't seem to be enough to keep me warm. Damn this weather. My phone starts ringing unexpectedly, the ringtone muted by the mass of covers and bed sheets where it is currently hidden. I dig under my blanket for a good minute, and manage to pull out my phone right as it got to the last ring. It's my best friend Elizabeth.

"Hello," I say in the most unenthusiastic way.

"Sam! You busy?" she yelps in my ear.

"Uh," I look down at my computer where Netflix is playing, I was currently on my seventh episode of The Vampire Diaries in a row. "Yeah, I'm really busy, actually. Why?"

"Well, looks like you're gonna have to cancel your plans! I'm at Starbucks right now, you've got ten minutes."

"Wait, what-"

"Love you!" she says right before hanging up on me. I stare at my phone for a good five minute, wondering how I managed to put up with her for the past 12 years. I get out of bed and position myself in front of my mirror. My hair is an absolute mess, still slightly humid from my last shower. I'm wearing thick fuzzy socks, sweatpants over leggings, and to top it all off, a sweater that probably hasn't been washed in a week and is covered in cat hair. This is what I get for cuddling with Bartholomew when he's shedding like crazy. I glance at my watch, who in their right mind goes to Starbucks at 11pm on a rainy day. Only Liz.

I put a cosy outfit together and get dressed, checking once in my mirror to see if I looked decent. I shrug, it's not as if I'm trying to impress anyone. I tie my hair up in a messy bun and grab my phone and wallet before going down the stairs. My brother is watching Tv in the living room, he turns around when he hears me open the front door.

"Where you going?" he asks.

"Starbucks." He nods and goes back to watching his movie. I grab my umbrella, and head out. I live pretty close to Starbucks, so it takes me about 5 minutes to get there. I walk in and find Liz beaming at me from her table. I sit down next to her.

"Hey."

"Wow, you look like shit." She states nonchalantly. I make a mental note to never talk to her ever again.

"Thanks, Elizabeth, you look gorgeous too." I reply sarcastically.

"You know I'm only teasing! I ordered for you already." She says and pushes my drink towards me. I take a sip out of it, checking if she got my order right. I raise an eyebrow at her. "Pumpkin Spice Latte with two pumps of vanilla. C'mon, I know you."

"True," I take an other sip of my drink, wrapping my hands around the cup to keep them warm. I look up at her, "So, why'd you bring me here on this special occasion?"

She smiles. "Austin asked me out."

"Wow, what- Really?" she nods enthusiastically. Austin is a senior, captain of the football team, and every girls' wet dream. Well, every girl except me, of course. Liz has been crushing on him for forever, the two had started hanging out and it was obvious that he felt the same way about her. Who wouldn't, everyone always loves Liz.

"Sammy, it was so romantic," she sighs, her bright green eyes sparkling. "We went on walk together, he took me to that one park- you know the one? It was dark and cold and he gave me his jacket! We were holding hands and it was so nice, and suddenly he stopped walking and he looked at me, and asked me to be his girlfriend. I swear I stopped breathing right there and then."

I smile absently, while she babbles about how his cheekbones looked under the street lamps. She was always very lucky with boys, she's already dated so many. And then there's me, whose never had my first kiss yet. I sigh.

"What about you?" she asks all of a sudden, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Huh?"

"You're still not interested in anyone?" she looks at me expectantly.

"Uh, no. Not really, the boys in this town aren't really my type." I mumble, looking away from her heavy gaze.

"Oh, c'mon. There has to be at least one guy that you think is hot?" she pushes.

I sigh, I seem to do that a lot these days. "No, I'm telling you. They're all so... similar."

She smiles sympathetically. "Oh, don't worry, babe. You'll find a special one, one day." She puts her hand over mine, and squeezes it.

It's only 30 minutes later that I leave Starbucks, it's still raining heavily as I pull out my umbrella. On the way home, I'm lost in my thoughts, reminiscing the earlier events and that discussion with Liz. As soon as I get home, I run up the stairs, eager to find the comfort of my own room. I sit on my bed and get ready to press play and continue my The Vampire Diaries marathon, when a noise catches my attention. I pull out my earphones, Bartholomew meows.

"Shush, you." I tell him, he glares at me with all the sass of a Persian cat. I stand up and go up to my window where the noise is more distinct. I squint in the darkness and that's when I see him. He's sitting in his bed, strumming the chords on his guitar and singing with that voice. The houses in my neighborhood are close to each other, so I'm used to hearing him sing at night, but I never get over how mesmerizing he sounds. You can practically hear the passion in his singing, the way he closes his eyes and tilts his head when he hits a high note. My heart leaps in my chest, I listen closer, trying to make out the words.

"Turns out that no one can replace me
I'm permanent, you can't erase me
I'll help you remember me
One more kiss is all it takes
I'll leave you with the memory
And the aftertaste"

***********************************

Yay! First chapter is up! I'm really enjoying writing this story, although I'll admit it is spontaneous writing, I haven't planned anything yet. We'll see how it goes. How are you liking it?

What do you think about the characters? What would you like to see next in this story?