Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

                        • Aubrey •

"Scott?" My whisper is hushed, watery, an echo of yesterdays. The memory of him wraps his arms around me, young and high on life, with a smile that would put the stars to shame. But the real him sits in a chair before me, aged years in a matter of days. His hair is pasted to his forehead, arms straining against the rope holding him in place. There's so much blood it's hard to tell where exactly it's coming from.

Lips parted, eyes wide with unconcealed shock, he says, "Aubrey?" His voice is muted, teeth stained red, but it conveys everything I feared. He truly believed that I was dead. He looks like he's seen a ghost.

I start to rush over to him, but Jake grabs at my arms, restraining me. I'm knocked off my feet, pulled into the shadows as a cruel laugh emerges from them.

"Yep, she's alive! Isn't it a miracle, Scottie? People in Beacon Hills don't seem to stay dead very long." Paul snickers condescendingly, trailing his claws along the walls until they shriek. I have so much hatred for him that I want to tear his voice out with my teeth. "Poor, poor Scottie. You actually thought she was dead, but she's been here the whole time. Living a nice little life of luxury, controlling the world and all that. Isn't it nice on the throne, Bree?"

"Actually," I snarl, lacing my words with as much venom as I can muster. "It could use a few more cushions."

Paul ignores me, focusing all of his attention on Scott, who so desperately needs medical attention. The scent of his blood clogs my nostrils until the entire world is scarlet. "You can have a place on that throne, too, Scott. It's reserved for you. To take your rightful place in the triskele. You could be powerful, Scott, and everyone would have to bow down to you."

"Go to hell." He doesn't miss a beat.

Paul recoils, satisfied smirk in place. "Feisty― just the way I like 'em. You certainly have potential, Scottie― why else would Roxanne want you?"

My eyes go wide, Jake's body going stiff against me. Even the name sends a thrill of fear coursing through me, a shiver running down my spine. That same creeping sense of paranoia crawls through me, as if I'm watching the puzzle pieces being connected in front of me.

Scott's expression mirrors mine, a combination of confusion and dread. Paul smiles, wide in the dark and slow like poison. "Oh, you didn't realize that you were the reason we came to Beacon Hills? It wasn't because of poor, little, defenseless Aubrey. Oh no. It was you. All along, it was you."

I let my guard down for a split second, all anger draining from me. "But I thought... I don't understand what he has to do with anything."

Paul's eyes lock with mine, and his are rich with superiority. He has the upper hand because he has the knowledge, and he knows it. "Sorry to break your ego, Bree, but the entire world is not about you. I mean, did you really think we came to Beacon Hills because of Peter? Because that worthless scum wanted to meet you? No, all along Roxanne was after what Peter had promised her― to complete the triskele."

My head buzzes with understanding, fragmented memories finally making a complete picture. Everything shifts slightly, and Jake's arms tighten around me as Paul closes in on Scott. "Do you have any idea why Roxanne wants you so bad? Do you realize how incredibly powerful you are, Scott? You're an alpha, a beta, and an omega. Can you guess why?"

Scott smiles sweetly, faking innocence. "I'd like to think it's because I don't like to take sides."

Paul snickers, his fingers trailing over the back of Scott's chair as he circles him. It reminds me of vulture, waiting for their victim to slowly die. "Alpha by choice, beta by bite, and omega by loyalties. All the pack dynamics in one person. It's amazing." Paul leans forward, bearing his teeth. "Doesn't all that power tempt you? Even just a little bit?"