Chapter Ten

Eclipse put a paw over Luna's body, pulling her closer to keep him warm. She curled into him as the night around them gradually turned into dull daylight.
They had talked a lot last night after they had confessed their feelings to one another, and now they felt a bond that they never thought they could have.

Luna lifted her head and wormed her way out of their embrace. He watched her, but made no move to stop her.
She got up slowly and turned to look at him.
"We need to get Misty," she whispered, "she's just as much a part of this pack as we are."
Eclipse yawned a toothy yawn and stretched his legs. Then he got up and looked at the trees.
"Sure," he growled, "After all, if it weren't for her we probably wouldn't be together right now."
Luna cocked her head at him.
"You don't know that."
He raised one brow at her and smirked knowingly.
"Please, Luna. If she hadn't come around you would've denied your feelings forever... and I would've been waiting for you the entire time."
He nuzzled her face and she smiled.
"I would've come around, sooner or later," she murmured.
"Sure you would've," he whispered in her ear, his breath tickling the side of her face.
She laughed and pushed him away with her paw.
"Okay, okay! We need to go find Misty instead of just fooling around. It's part of our responsibility now to take care of our pack."
Eclipse smirked again, but instead of distracting her he just nodded.
Her eyes gleamed and she lifted her head to the sky.
She released a long, steady howl that danced through the air until finally fading away into the crisp, cool morning.
It was quickly answered by a short, sharp howl that rang with one clear message: I'm on my way.
Luna lowered her head and grinned at Eclipse.
"I think this whole pack idea might just work," she mused.

Misty nearly bounded into them moments later. Her tail was wagging furiously and her tongue was lolling out of her mouth. Eclipse and Luna both had to stifle a laugh.
"So, you followed my advice?! You two are the alphas now?!"
Luna nodded and Misty nearly barked with glee.
"You two are the perfect pair! You're gonna have beautiful little pups and I'm gonna take care of them while you go hunting and we're gonna be one big happy family..."
"Slow down, Misty!"
Eclipse stepped forward next to Luna and Misty lowered her head in submission.
"I'm sorry, Eclipse. I just got a little excited."
Luna smirked and batted Misty on the shoulder with her paw.
"A little? You were practically jumping out of your fur you were so excited!"
Misty laughed and shook her head.
"I know. I just can't wait to be part of a pack again. You don't know how much this means to me."
Her voice faded and she looked away. Tears shone in her eyes.
Eclipse and Luna looked at each other before going up next to her on either side.
Luna nudged her with her snout and Eclipse put a paw over one of hers.
"It's okay, Misty," Luna whispered, "We're not going to let anything happen to our new pack, no matter what happens."
Misty leaned against her, her face showing signs of exhaustion and extreme sorrow.
"I know you mean that, but sometimes life gets the better of us. Even if you are the strongest and bravest Alphas that I've ever known, I also know that you can't stop life... or death."
Misty closed her eyes and sighed.
Luna glanced over at Eclipse and he seemed to be working something over in his head. His jaw was clenched and his eyes were narrowed in deep thought.
When he noticed that she was looking at him he just smiled sadly and returned his gaze back to the forlorn silver she-wolf.
Luna looked him over carefully one more time before turning back to the broken wolf next to her.
What is he not telling me?
The question lingered in her mind as she tried to comfort her newest and most loyal friend.