Chp. 23

This was it; this was my final dress rehearsal for my very last recital at NYU. I honestly couldn't believe my four year journey on this stage would be over tomorrow night, but coming to terms with it actually hurt my heart. Where had the time gone? It felt like just yesterday I had performed my first recital, hearing the manic cheers and the feeling the first sense of true accomplishment. Tomorrow I would close that chapter of my life and start anew, something I was nervous but eager for.

"Is Drew on her way?" I heard Maria asking, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I nodded, "Yea, she should be here any minute."

We were waiting to put on our first set of costumes for the group number, me already knowing that the duet was later on in the recital. We weren't closing out the show but we were definitely in the last thirty minutes, which I was okay with. I wanted to go out with a bang, so I didn't demand a new placement.

It took Drew the amount of time for me to step into the dressing room, change, perform, and come off stage to finally show up. I had been a nervous wreck but when she finally did and explained that her bike had trouble starting I understood. I had even changed into my duet costume while waiting, and when she disappeared to change as well I felt relief but annoyance.

If something went wrong tomorrow I would be devastated, not only because of all the hard work we had put into this dance but because I wanted to do this with Drew. If I would've had any other partner besides her, this duet would've been mediocre. I wouldn't have tried so hard, so going through with this was my number one goal as of now, and I was going to do everything possible to reach it.

I heard a deep voice next to me then, "So, you think you and your girlfriend will be able to pull this off?"

I looked up at Jordi, seeing a weird look on his face but decided to ignore his obvious sarcasm. I nodded, "I have no doubt in my mind."

"You know you could've asked me, right?" he countered, as if he had almost expected it. I let him continue because I was in no mood to argue, "I mean, she probably can't do as much considering-"

"Considering what?" I heard a familiar voice behind us, the same voice that never failed to send shivers up my spine.

I turned immediately, grabbing Drew's hand and pulling her into me. The tone of her voice implied that she had heard what Jordi said, but the anger on her features was more obvious.

Jordi tried not to look intimidated, "Considering you're a girl and probably can't do a lot of lifts; I mean it's common sense."

I didn't understand why Jordi was a hard-headed douche, but I prayed Drew just let his arrogance slide. Drew wasn't a hot-head, at least not anymore, but she was protective. That was apparent whenever Jordi was around.

She stepped forward, allowing me to see that Drew was eye level with the brown-haired boy. There were glimmers of fear in his olive-colored eyes but he was trying his best to keep his pride more visible.

Drew spat, "Maybe she would've chosen you for the duet if you wouldn't be such a dickhead."