8:10am (Return of the Data)

"Yes," Kelly exclaimed an hour later. "My data's back on! We can use the GPS again." I turned sideways to look at her, a big smile creeping across my face. For the past hour or so, we had been trying to drive as far away from the woods as possible. It had been Sam's idea. He figured that the reason why our GPS wasn't working, was because the constant canopy of trees had been preventing us from getting any service. Once we began to make our way back the way we came, our data returned.

We were currently on Elm Street, which is about five blocks away from Beacon Street. It was difficult to believe that it had taken us a whole hour to drive only five blocks away. I guess that's how it happens when you're lost. You spend so much time wondering whether to turn right or left, that you don't end up covering as much ground as you're accustomed to. Like, damn.

As Kelly called out the directions to the Franklin County Fair site, I could feel the muscles in my stomach begin to clench. I knew that it was now only a matter of time, twenty minutes according to the GPS, until we would be at the field. I had spent so much time figuring out where Macy was and how to find her, that I hadn't given any thought as to what I would say when I did.

I still couldn't believe how well Macy had planned this whole thing out. She had almost made it easy for me to find her. She gave me step by step instructions as well as a back up in case I got lost. She had wanted me to find her, to save her, more than she had wanted anything else. What had she said in her first video? She just wanted proof that someone out there truly loved and cared for her? Well, I do. I love her. I have known that I loved Macy for as long as I could remember. Today, I had admitted it to Kelly and soon, I would have to admit it to Macy herself. Just like I should have on that Ferris Wheel last September.

I should have kissed her that day. I should have lightly touched her cheek, grazed my thumb across her jaw and kissed her. I should have told her how I felt, that I loved her. That I wanted her to be mine, and I to be hers. I should have told her that I had wanted to hold her hand that day at Hanover Theatre. Maybe none of this would have happened if I had just held her hand that night. Maybe she wouldn't have been so sad this past year if she had known how I felt about her.

I was pulled out of my mind when I felt Sam's hand on my shoulder. "It's gonna be alright, Man," he said, lightly squeezing my shoulder with his fingertips. Though I really didn't feel any better, I appreciated the gesture.

"I know it will," I said, with as much conviction as I could muster. "I just don't know what I'm supposed to say to her. I really didn't think this part through."

"Just tell her how you feel," Kelly said, shooting a soft smile my way. After all of this was over, I was determined to help Kelly and Macy patch up their friendship. I could definitely see how they had befriended each other all those years ago. They had a lot of similar qualities. As a matter of fact, having Kelly with me through all of this was kind of nice. Without her, I probably wouldn't have gotten this far.

I took a deep yet shallow breath. This was going to be the hardest thing I had ever done. How do you tell your best friend that you're in love with them?

"Okay, Max. Turn left," Kelly said, pointing where she wanted me to turn. Just as the car began to turn the bend, I knew exactly where we were. I drove the car straight ahead, down the long winding road leading to the parking lot where Macy had been so excited just last year, when she had set her eyes on The Fair for the first time. The parking lot was loaded with cars, trucks and even a few school buses. The place was completely packed. I wasn't even sure I was going to be able to find a parking spot.