The Love Square {15}

***Colin’s POV***

                God, I felt awful. I had no right to say that stuff to Ant. I didn’t know if his dad had even left the family. He had never talked about his dad before, not even when we had been friends five years ago. The one time I mentioned his dad to him back then, he had started crying and our teacher had pulled me aside and told me it was a sensitive subject and I should let it alone.

                And telling Ant to kill himself. Jeez, I hated gays, but telling him to kill himself was taking it way too far. That was just cruel of me.

                I went back over to my friends and sat down. Jake and Vance glanced at me curiously. I looked up to make sure the adults wouldn’t hear us before turning to them.

                “He’s gone. I didn’t want you guys to tell my parents because it would’ve upset Collie,” I explained quietly.

                Speaking of Collie, the backdoor shut and I looked up to see him coming down the stairs. He now had a sweatshirt on, and his hands were shoved in his pockets.

                I gulped and stood up. I would have to tell him that Ant was gone. I didn’t want to lie to him, but I could at least be vague about what I had said to Ant.

                “I’ll be right back you guys,” I mumbled to Emma, Jake, and Vance.

                I made my way over to Collie, stopping him before he got in ear shot of the adults and our friends. He raised an eyebrow at me.

                “What do you want Colin?” he asked in annoyance.

                “Uh…Collie, Ant left. He went home,” I said nervously.

                Collie glanced behind me, his eyes scanning for any sign of Ant. He gaze returned to me and he narrowed his eyes suspiciously.

                “What did you do Colin?” he growled.

                I rubbed the back of my neck. “Well, mom and dad almost found out he was gay, and I lied for him. But then I kind of snapped at him.”

                His hands shot out and he grabbed fistfuls of my shirt, pulling me up close. “What did you say to him, Colin?” he demanded.

                I gripped his hands and tried to pry them off of my shirt. “I apologized to him after Collie!” I cried desperately. “I didn’t mean to say such bad stuff to him!”

                “What. Did. You. Say.” He spoke slowly and furiously.

                I gulped and told him everything I had said. As I spoke, I could see him growing angrier with each word.

                “You dumbass!” he boomed when I was done. The adults and our friends all spun to face us in shock.

                Collie shoved me backwards roughly and advanced at me with his fist raised. “God you piss me off so bad! Why can’t you just leave him alone?” he said angrily.

                “Collie stop!” I said in alarm. He swung at me and I ducked to avoid his fist. I heard my mom let out a surprised cry as Collie swung at me again, this time catching my shoulder and making me stagger backwards.