xliv. everything has changed

chapter forty - four
EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED

tw: sexual themes, violence, pain, 
anxiety & death

2016 , MANHATTAN 

Clara Parker let out a deep sigh as her body fell back into the mattress beside her, tanned skin layered in a thin shine of sweat, shimmering in the sunlight that casts threw the window. A figure falls down beside her, puffing out a strong breath, taking up half of the double bed. Nibbling on her swollen lips, the brunette sits up after a moment and tucks her dark, unruly curls behind her ears. The blonde man beside her turns his head, watching as she gets up onto the carpet layering her floor.

"You alright?" Steve Rogers asks as his girlfriend walks into the bathroom of her bedroom, he gets out of the comfortable bed and slips on his discarded boxers. 

Clara drums her fingers on the marble of her bathroom counter, looking over the makeup and the products laid neatly on the side. She's a bit of a clean freak at the moment, perhaps its that everything has changed so quickly or that she's always been a clean freak. The twenty-three year old spots Steve out the corner of his eye as he leans around the doorway, worried about her. He's constantly worried about her, it's probably an instinctual thing now; especially since she's started going threw phases of depression and phases of happiness. Ever since everything started changing and she took up group therapy to help learn how to live with her trauma, she's been all over the place. Steve joked that it was menopause, but she didn't find it very funny and didn't speak to him for two days. Clara believes its just that she's learning to settle down again, but it's difficult with all the people about the compound and all the change. 

"Lars." The Captain repeats, catching her attention. Clara's dark eyes flick up in the mirror, watching him for a moment, "You alright? We usually cuddle after sex, did I do something wrong? I'm sorry, I didn't --"

"No, it wasn't you." She reassures him, "I'm just tired." Parker runs a hand over her damp hair and then down her face. Steve purses his lips together, "And worried about Bucky. He's been gone for two years, I know that we haven't been trying as hard as we could to find him but I'm just worried about him. He should have his memories back, most of them anyway, I'm not gonna say he should be alright because that's just hypocritical but... I just." Steve gently wraps his arms around her from behind, the hug comforting. Clara lets her eyes shut for a moment with a sigh.