16: Until I Met You

Chapter 16

“Cason?” I asked once again, wondering why he would show up here and not acknowledge me.

I mean, I know that he was mad about me not being able to attend the party with him tonight, but that doesn’t mean that he can just show up at my house and give me the silent treatment.

After waiting a couple of seconds, I finally realized that there was something wrong with Cason. He was leaning heavily on the side of the house and he looked absolutely exhausted. His eyes also seemed to be wandering around as if he was following the flight path of a firefly.

“Cason?” I asked again, slowly walking closer to him until I could place my hand on his shoulder to get him to look at me. “Are you drunk?”

As soon as the words left my lips, I came to the conclusion all to myself as Cason’s tired and dreary eyes met mine.

“Hello Jessa.” Cason said, addressing me with a heavy slur to his words. “You have pretty hair.” he continued before proceeding to bring his hand up slowly and run it through my hair.

Since my hair had gone the entire day without having a brush run through it, his hand naturally got stuck half way down the strands, making even more knots that I would have to comb through later.

“Look, my hand is stuck in your spaghetti!” Cason exclaimed with a wide grin on his face, however, all I could do was stare at him with an unamused expression on my face.

I successfully pulled his hand out of my hair after a couple seconds of struggle, but not without his fingers pulling harshly on the various knots a few times. “Cason,” I started seriously, dropping his hand to rest on the side of his body. “What did you do?”

“Party?” he responded in the form of a question, putting a thoughtful expression on his face as if he didn’t know himself. After a second, he nodded his head in confirmation of his theory. “Yes, party.”

Even though I wanted to let the urge to laugh overcome me and just belt out my chuckles, I only cracked a small smile before putting a neutral expression back on my face as I addressed Cason.

“You still went to the party?” I asked incredulously. “Did you get Evan to go with you or something?”

He shook his head side to side, giving me a negative response; however, his head wasn’t the only thing that was shaking. Since he was in an intoxicated state, his messed up mind decided to shake his entire body instead of just his head so, now he looked like a vertically erect worm in the middle of a spasm.

“I went all by myself.” he exclaimed rather loudly, obviously having lost control of his ability to hear and control how loud his voice projects.

“Be quiet!” I shushed at a normal sounding tone, waving my hands in a dramatic manner, trying to get the message to a still-functioning part of his brain.

As the wind picked up slightly, the coolness of the sea-side air made goose bumps sprout on the parts of my arms and legs that were exposed. Without a second thought, I grabbed Cason’s hand and pulled him into the warmness that my house held, successfully warming myself up and getting a noisy Cason out of the sight of judging neighbours.