Target Acquired

"Sir, are you sure about this? He's just a boy..." 

The Agent in question was already hesitant in accepting this mission before he even knew what his target was. He normally didn't do recall or surveillance and he wasn't used to having a partner. He was a Specialist, and so was his younger partner and this was not their typical mission. They took out targets, not children. 

Both of them had been called in by Agent Coulson, expecting to receive a solo mission of some type or an undercover operation. Instead, they were met by a small team of Specialists and Ground Agents, all of them surprised and confused. They had been gathered in a room together and told to wait. It was an awkward experience, the Specialists grouped towards each other as the Ground Agents looked at them with awe and fear. An encounter he did not want a repeat of. It wasn't until Agent Coulson came in that everyone spoke. 

All of the members gathered were given a medium sized file, rather small for a SHEILD assignment and were split into groups. The Specialists were a tag team; four agents split into two, one team supporting and covering the other. The Ground Agents were alone, either doing research or another type of recon. 

"Are you questioning your orders Phillips?" Agent Phillips didn't miss the look his partner, Agent Adams, gave him from the corner of his eye. The younger man was laying stomach down on the rooftop, positioned behind a silenced Cheytac .480 cal Rifle. He glanced away from his scope, his face apprehensive as Agent Phillips served as his spotter, both hearing the warning tone coming through their comm links. 

"Agent Phillips has a point sir. We've never been assigned a mission like this before. He's not even 18 yet..." The worried voice of a female Ground Agent broke through, blocking off whatever Agent Coulson was going to say next. Everyone listening to this frequency could feel the tension, anticipating an oncoming conflict. Nothing about this mission felt right. 

Agent Coulson sighed. He knew there would be some doubt but it seems like the whole team was hesitant. "He is a prime target and while he is still a boy, he as avoided SHELD's radar for nearly a decade and has been linked to several terrorist events and is suspected to be a terrorist himself. I do not care what your doubts are. He's the mission. Take him in alive. If he's an enemy, good. We can get intel form him. If he's innocent, we interrogate and release him. Understood?" 

None of the Agents missed the steel in his voice. Agents Phillip and Adams swallowed before they let out a reluctant, "Yes sir." The comms went silent again, the two snipers and their spotters scanning the New York traffic in hopes of finding their target. Agent Phillips was in deep concentration before the baritone voice of his partner broke through his thoughts. 

"What I don't understand is, if this kid has avoided the organization for this long, what makes them think this newly formed team will spot him? And they want us to take him alive? I can't believe that. These bullets aren't standard issue. They aren't tranquilizers either. They are electrified and have a exploding shells. If we shoot him, they gave us the materials to kill him, or make him hurt a fuck load. I don't like it." 

"That's not the point. Coulson has a point. This is the mission. HQ knows what they are doing...." Agent Adams didn't miss the way his partners voice faded out at the end of his sentence. He shifted his eyes once more at his spotter, before whispering his reply. 

"Do they really?" Before Agent Phillips could reply, the excited voice of a Ground Agent cut in. 

"I have a visual." This snapped the two Agents back into position. 

"Where?"

"Thirty feet form my position. Tall, caucasian male. Deeply tanned. Black jeans and a navy blue hoodie. He's going against the flow. Seems to be heading towards Queens." Agent Phillips followed the directions given, searching for the label subject.