Chapter 8

Harry's POV

Piper trailed her finger across my skin, outlining my tattoos. The very feeling of her bare body against mine was enough to make me forget everything else. The world seemed to disappear. My own hand traced her spine, feeling every bone. She put her head on my chest, listening to my heart beat, which thanks to her, was fluttering at every touch. She sighed as I pulled away from her, standing up and finding a pair of sweatpants in my drawer.

"Where are you going?" She asked as I handed her my button up shirt, that she shrugged into, rolling up the sleeves to her elbows.

"As I recall, I promised you some five star chicken nuggets."

"You did, indeed." She walked toward me.

"You hungry?" She nodded as I tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. Her mascara was smeared and her lipstick was rubbed off, her hair falling from it's design, but she was still beautiful. I leaned forward, kissing her forehead before leading the way to the kitchen.

She sat on the counter, watching me as I prepared the nuggets. It wasn't long before they were done. Piper laughed as I led her to the table, holding her chair out for her.

"What are you doing, Harry?"

"Just hold on!" She grinned and rolled her eyes. She watched from her chair as I dug around for wine glasses in the cabinets. I shrugged, pulling out a plastic cup that had a Disney princess on it. I pulled out a bottle of wine and brought the load to the table.

"Wine, miss?" I asked in my most professional voice.

"Yes, thank you sir." Piper said, her adorable laugh coming through her voice. I poured the wine into the princess cups and gave her one. The timer buzzed and I jogged back to the oven, putting the nuggets onto one of the few plates I have that isn't plastic.

I came back and set it on the table.

"Dinner, is served." Piper grinned at me, reaching for a nugget. "Even though it's, like, midnight." I added with a shrug. We spent the next half hour talking and eating, recounting memories of messy childhood meals. We'd moved from the table to the couch with our plastic cups of wine when she sighed, looking around the room, soaking it in.

"You know, this can't happen again, right?" She squeezed her eyes shut. She didn't want to have this conversation just as much as I didn't want to.

"Piper, please." I could almost see her thoughts, swirling around her head. Her eyes gave her away. "Don't ruin this. Just," my mind raced, trying desperately to think of a solution. "Give me tonight. That's all I ask." Her eyes searched my face. "Sleep in my bed and wake up beside me. Then, in the morning, you can tell me that we can't be together or that you never want to see me again. But please, Piper-Jane, just give me tonight." She sighed, running through ever scenario in her mind, deciding what to do.

"What about Aubrey?"

"She's with her grandma until tomorrow afternoon." I pushed my bottom lip out, pouting slightly, leaning into her. She grinned, before nodding.

"Alright, alright." She said as I snaked my arms around her waist, pulling her onto me. "You're gonna make me spill my wine!" She pouted.

"What would you like to do Piper-Jane?

Piper's POV

We ended up back in his bed, clothes discarded on the floor. We laughed along to the tv which was playing old reruns of Friends. Harry's fingers trailed up and down my back, testing his luck by trailing his hand down as far as he could reach, causing me to slap his hand away, he laughed in response.

"Wasn't me." He would say with a shrug.

By three am, we'd fallen asleep. My head was cradled on his tattooed chest, his arms holding me close and our legs entwined. The small amount of cologne that was still on him invaded my mind, putting a smile on my face. It was the best I'd slept in weeks, especially with all the stress at work.

I woke up later than I usually would, around nine. It didn't take me long to remember that I hadn't fallen asleep in my own bed. Harry wasn't there, though. After a few minutes of just staring at the ceiling fan, I pulled myself up. Harry had laid an old, Boston U t-shirt on the bed and I was quick to put it in. It smelled just like him and was too many sizes too big.

I took a few minutes to pull my hair into a messy bun, which was the best I could do at the present moment. My makeup was a loss. I did my best to clean it up and not look like a total mess. Once that was done, I tiptoed to the kitchen, examining picture on the wall as I passed. One showed a Harry, holding a baby, a smiling woman beside him. She was beautiful. I suddenly felt self conscious, wondering if she'd ever worn this shirt.

"Ow, fuck." I broke from my thoughts and walked toward the kitchen, where Harry was running water over his finger. I leaned against the door frame, watching him. He was wearing sweatpants that hung low on his hips. The muscles in his back twitched with every move he made. Bacon was sizzling in a pan on the stove, making the kitchen smell like hickory. I walked over to him as he dried his hand and wrapped my arms around his muscular torso. He turned around and returned the gesture.

"Good morning, beautiful." He put his hands on either side of my face, placing a kiss on my nose. "Hope you're hungry because I'm making bacon."

"How could I not be?" I teased, winking at him.

"Someone's feeling feisty this morning." I shrugged, walking over to a stool, watching him flip the bacon.

"Because I like bacon, don't flatter yourself." he veined hurt. "You're alright, I guess."

"Alright?" He said looking over his shoulder at me as he transferred the bacon to a plate. He walked over to me, pulling me from the stool and pushing me against the counter. He pressed his lips to me neck, biting along my collarbone. He pulled away leaving me by the counter to grab the bacon. I glared at him as he ate a piece slowly. "What?"

"That's just mean." He laughed.

We spent the morning on the couch, watching the morning cartoons, like adults, with our coffee and bacon.

"So?" Harry asked. I raised an eyebrow at him. "What's the verdict?" I sighed, looking around the room, spotting another picture of his late wife.

"I was never completely honest with you." I said, looking at my hands.

"Are you a spy or something?" He said with a cheeky grin, I shook my head. "What is it?"

"When you asked me why I wanted to be a teacher, I didn't tell you the whole thing." I felt his hand on my knee, urging me on, I could feel his stare on me. "The reason I did was because, I can't have kids, and I knew that that was the closest I'd ever be to being a mother." I looked over at him, meeting his gaze.

"Is that all?" I nodded, pushing my hair behind my ears. "Piper-Jane, I love kids, but in case you forgot, I already have one. And she loves you, so much. Don't freak out but, if this goes anywhere, which I hope to God it does, then we'll cross that bridge when it comes. Nothing could ever make me love you any less." He cupped my cheek and rubbed away my tears with his thumb. "Come on." he pulled me into his chest, holding me tight, and then I knew that that was exactly where I wanted to stay.

~~~~~

Love you guys!!