Fear Evolves // The Land of Untold Stories

*present*

They traveled the entirety of that day searching for Kyla's old hut. Kyla kept herself tucked into Rider's side the entire time. There was only one problem. 

She couldn't remember where the hut was. 

Her memory was a blur, like she hadn't really lived there. She walked like she was in a dream, her feet only moving because Rider was dragging her along. 

Her family was growing impatient, either with her inability to remember the hut or the terror that ran through her veins. She fell quiet, only picturing the Warden. 

And his voice.

"You escaped!" A voice called to them from behind. Kyla jumped, whirling around at the sound. The Gardner stood behind them, a smile on his face. "How? No one has ever escaped the Warden." 

"We're not your typical prisoners," David answered. "How did you find us?" 

"I've been scouring the woods for something magical to help you escape," the Gardner said. 

"The woods?" Rider asked incredulously. "What magical weapon were you hoping to find?" 

He shook his head. "A flower. Many flowers are used in potions. I was hoping to create an unlocking spell to get you out. But it seems you didn't need my help." 

"We might still," David said, stepping forward. Kyla wanted to grab his arm and pull him. back, but she couldn't move. "We're looking for the hut of the Dark One."

The Gardner pointed the opposite way. "Aren't you looking to get home?" 

"We're looking to rest," Hook said. He didn't mention the wand that needed fixing.

"Very well. I know where it is," he said. Too much enthusiasm.

"How?" Kyla asked too quickly. 

"Everyone knows of the Dark One's hut. He stays there whenever he visits. But are you sure it's safe?"

"The only danger here is the Warden," Kyla found herself saying. She wasn't sure it was true, but she needed her family to know the threat he posed.

His eyes narrowed, only at her. "I'm sure you know there are many other dangers here, Rapunzel." 

A chill shot up her spine.

"Follow me," was all he said before leading them into the woods, Kyla following behind like a zombie. 

All she wanted was to go home. She wanted to be away from the Land of Untold Stories. 

Away from him.

"You have to keep me away from him," Kyla said in a low voice. 

Thanks to the Gardner, they found the small hut she and Rumple once shared. It was the middle of the night and everyone was already fast asleep, the only sound in the hut the deep breaths of their slumber. She could hear it through the thin door of the bedroom. 

Rider was half asleep, holding Kyla to his chest in her old bed. Her family was gracious enough to let her sleep in the room that was once hers. Rider shifted, his body responding before he did. 

"Hmm?" He murmured sleepily. 

Kyla didn't care if he was asleep. She would still talk to him even if he wasn't listening. Her mind was alert. And she was terrified, an emotion she wasn't accustomed to. Though she was exhausted, the fear was keeping her awake.

"The Warden," she continued. "I can't be near him. If he gets me-"

"No one is going to get you," he told her. "I'll fix the wand tomorrow and then we'll go home."