Chapter Twenty

I stare up at my ceiling. Bored. Thomas was working, I had nothing to do. I had read a whole book today, and it was only 2 PM.

I close my eyes and relax.

Soon, I'm asleep.

I dream about the days before my dad became a complete and utter monster. I miss those days.

*****

Two days later, I'm helping with a trapped mama bear and her cubs.

The day after that, I help a trapped fox.

They all get to go free, and that makes me happy.

*****

My phone rings. I answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hey beautiful." Thomas says.

I grin. "Hello handsome. What's up?"

"I have an idea. You wanna hear it?"

"Yes, I do." I say.

"Alright, well, we both know that the paparazzi and such are watching our every move, yeah? Well, what if they couldn't find us, or we go somewhere where it would just be too inconvenient for them to show up?" He sounds excited.

I frown. "I'm not following here."

Thomas sighs. "Alright then, I'll just say it. Why don't we go up into the mountains for a week, just the two of us, in a cabin? Just me and you, no distractions."

Ooooh, I like that idea. It sounds wonderful.

"That would be great Thomas, but we both have work and-"

"I'm getting a week off coming up in two weeks. And I remember, didn't you tell me you have a lot of free days that you haven't used?"

Oh, yeah, I did tell him that didn't I?

"We don't have to Kylie, I don't want to pressure you, I just thought it would be nice."

Oh, I want to.

"I can ask for a week off. I'm not guaranteeing that I'll get it though." I say.

"That's fine, Snowflake. Oh, I hope they let you have off. I want to spend alone time with you, away from prying eyes and listening ears."

I blush. "Me too, Thomas. Me too."

"I've got to go Kylie. Don't forgot to ask! I'll talk to you soon. I love you!"

"I love you too Thomas."

*****

The next day, I ask my boss.

"And since I have a months worth of vacation days, I'd like to take a week off, in about two weeks. Is that okay?" I ask Erica, my second boss.

"Yes, of course you can. You need to take some vacation days hun. You're a hard worker. You deserve it." She says.

I try not to jump for joy. "Thank you Erica!" I hug her, and she laughs and hugs me back. Erica was a really laid back person, and she loved hugs.

That night, I call Thomas with the good news.

"That's bloody brilliant Kylie! I'm so excited!" Thomas says, and I can tell he's smiling big.

"I know, I can't wait!"

"Do you know what to pack?"

"Yeah. A coat, gloves, hat, shirts, pants, all that jazz. I'm not dull."