The Love Square {16}

***Ant’s POV***

                I sat in the boys’ bathroom, wiping at my eyes desperately. I just couldn’t get Colin’s words out of my head. I know he apologized, and I forgave him. But…it still hurt, whether he meant it to or not.

                I looked down at my hand and my eyes watered again as they landed on the ring I always wore. It had been my father’s ring.

                “Stop it Ant,” I whispered, squeezing my eyes shut. I couldn’t slip back into the cry-baby Ant I had been back when everything with my dad had first happened. Not only would make me a depressing person to be around, but it would also terrify my mom.

                I took a deep breath and wiped my eyes with toilet paper until they were dry. I left the stall and looked in the mirror, forcing a smile and making sure it looked genuine. My eyes were still red, but I could just blame that on allergies.

                I left the bathroom and went over to my usual lunch table. Zane looked up at me, concern exploding in his eyes as I sat down.

                “Ant, where were you?” He lowered his voice. “Your eyes are red. Were you crying?”

                I shook my head, that fake smile on my face. “Nah, Zane! My allergies are acting up. I was in the bathroom taking Tylenol to help. Sorry I’m late,” I said, pulling out my lunch and taking a bite of my sandwich.

                Zane relaxed and nodded. “Well, I’m not the only one who was worried. Collie kept looking over at the lunch table,” he said.

                “Did he?” I asked, glancing over. I furrowed my brow in confusion. Collie wasn’t sitting at his usual table.

                “He’s sitting over there,” Zane said, nodding at a table in the opposite corner of the cafeteria. I looked over and frowned. Collie was sitting alone, his headphones in. He was reading a book.

                “I’m going to go ask him if he wants to sit here. He shouldn’t have to sit alone,” I said, setting my food down.

                “I wonder why he’s not sitting with Colin,” Zane said curiously.

                “Maybe they got in a fight?” I said with a helpless shrug.

                “Yea, we got in a fight.”

                I jumped and yelped. “Shit Collie! I told you to stop sneaking up on me!” I cried, spinning around to face him.

                He grabbed a chair and dropped into it, looking into my eyes. “Colin told me what he said to you. I’m sorry. He’s a fucking dumbass. Are you alright?”

                “What did Colin say to you?” Zane asked me suspiciously.

                I blushed. “It’s fine, Collie! Really, it is. He apologized to me this morning. I hope you didn’t fight with him over that. Seriously, it’s not a big deal. I know he didn’t mean it,” I said honestly.

                “Quit being so forgiving, Ant. I don’t care if he apologizes to you every second of everyday for the rest of his life. What he said was fucked up. Especially saying your dad left because of you, and saying you’re wrong and telling you to kill yourself,” he growled.