Entry 9 - A New Land Owner

Mirkwood, Night

Today has been eventful, to say the least, though it wasn't bad, mostly. The first thing I found outside my room door was the dresses I had ordered, as well as a basket of fresh muffins and a tray of coffee. I did not ask him about it, but I am positive they were from Upton. Especially as he was the one who told me about how good the muffins were only last night.

Once I had eaten and changed, I went to find Upton. Even he had changed from his normal clothes to something nicer for the visit.

The meeting went well, as best as I could tell. Upton provided advice now and again, which I believe saved me each time.

It was agreed that if I could put down half of the money for the mill, that perhaps Sir Reginald Blackwater might be able to back the other half. All that would be left would be to clear the land. Thankfully, that does not need to be the case, as Billy offered to pay for the other half, so the business remains in Mirkwood.

But I am getting a little ahead of myself.

After the meeting, Upton and I decided to scout around the area of land that the mill was to rest on. Before we left, we ran into Billy, who agreed to come along. Crossing the river seemed to be the easy, and fun, part. Billy seemed scared that the raft would tip over, but I found it enjoyable sitting beside the edge of the raft. After the stories I had heard of what lurked in the water, I dared not dip my hand in, but the water that lapped over the edge kept me content. Rather than put my hand in unknown water, I toyed with the water that played over the edge. It was cool and felt nice across my fingers.

The ride did not seem to take long at all, it felt like, before we were in a river on the South Shore. The second my feet touched the dirt, I saw the woman, the hag, burning in the fire. It was only for a moment, then it was gone, but it was there. What is it about this shore that breeds this vision in abundance? I have accepted that whatever cause is behind it, it seems to have attached itself, to some extent, to me. It hasn't been the easiest to accept, but it is a fact. And though I still dread to know its origins, I have found a reluctance in myself to run away. I wish to be able to fight this curse... or creature, but it will not happen if I flee. This, and fighting the Orcs at Natures Bridge, those are the goals I work towards near daily.

We began to move upriver, hoping to find a place for the mill, and to find an idea of what might hinder us. Upton stopped us as a group of goblins came into sight. Keeping Billy and I ducked into the bushes, Upton went to investigate. Beyond simply the pack...tribe? Of goblins, there was an odd tree, almost magical, he said. Billy and I watched it move... the tree turned to look at Upton.

We barely made it out, and onto the raft in time. Though, as it was, we took some arrow fire from the goblins. Looking back, I believe I took the worst of it, a few of the arrows having found deep, and painful lodging in my flesh. I felt I could nearly have passed out from the pain, but not quite. Thankfully, Billy healed us before we reached the docks of Mirkwood again. That was how he found out about the mill, and offered to pay the other half.

Once we were back on the docks, we decided to return, to inform the Governor of the good news, and to return his letter of recommendation to Sir Blackwater.

This visit was thankfully quite a bit shorter than last time, but this time, we left with the deed to the mill having been signed to us. After we left the manor house, we decided to visit Bermar, the craftsman who will largely be building the mill. We managed to pass along the money, and ensure that the order for materials will be placed.

After that, Upton took his leave from Billy and I so that he might prepare for departure in the morning. It seems Ravenhurst is to hold a festival, and so the Pegasus will be acting as more of a passenger ship this voyage. Because of the importance of it, Upton has suggested that I spend the voyage simply playing my role as a member of the Senate. It will be strange to be on board without helping.

Billy and I went to the Bread & Butter so that he could try chocolate milk for the first time. Nothing much happened after... We bid one another goodnight and decided to retire, as departure is early tomorrow morning.