twenty three

Camila's energy only continued as the week went on. Lauren would wake up and Camila would already be downstairs, cooking breakfast or playing with Wolf. Her nightmares still came and went, but Camila seemed to bounce back faster than she had before. And each night, she continued to take the two small blue pills before bed.

And then Wednesday came.

It started out as every other morning had. The blinding light streamed in from the window and caused Lauren to roll over groggily. And that's about where the normalcy ended.

"Camz?" Lauren furrowed her eyebrows, surprised that Camila was still in bed. She was normally already awake and bounding all over the house by this time.

"Camila," Lauren rolled over completely, nudging the small girl. Camila mumbled something inaudible and pulled the blankets over her head.

"Are you okay?" Lauren whispered, trying to gently move the blankets away from Camila's face. The brown eyed girl only held them tightly, scooting away from Lauren.

"M'sleep," Camila mumbled. Lauren raised an eyebrow, but decided not to annoy her girlfriend.

"Well I'm going to get breakfast," Lauren said softly, crawling over Camila and padding over to the dresser. "Come join me if you want blueberry muffins," she smirked, raising an eyebrow and expecting Camila to jump out of bed.

Instead, Camila just pulled the covers further over her head. With a heavy sigh, Lauren tugged on a t-shirt and headed downstairs.

Lauren hoped the smell of freshly baked muffins would lead Camila downstairs, but when she finished her breakfast and the small girl had still not appeared, she began to grow worried.

She quietly made her way back upstairs, turning on the light in the bedroom and stepping inside. Camila groaned, covering her eyes with a pillow.

"What's wrong?" Lauren asked softly, walking over to the bed. "Why aren't you getting out of bed?"

"Tired," Camila yawned, allowing Lauren to pull the pillow away from her face. "M'tired, Lo."

"Did you sleep last night?" Lauren asked, raising an eyebrow.

Camila nodded. "Yes. I had a nightmare, but I fell back asleep," she confessed.

"Are you okay?" the green eyed girl sat down on the edge of the bed. Camila nodded and sat up, furrowing her eyebrows and blinking a few times.

"Yes," she nodded slowly. "I am only tired."

"I made muffins," Lauren nodded towards the door. Camila smiled softly, stretching out her arms and yawning quietly.

"Yum," Camila hummed, scooting out of bed and padding softly towards the door. Wolf bounded happily after her, sticking right by her legs for guidance.

Lauren followed her, grabbing Camila's beanie from the dresser on the way out and tugging it onto the small girl's head once she caught up with her. Camila giggled softly, picking up Wolf and cradling him in her arms when they went downstairs.

Lauren raised a questioning eyebrow when Camila paused at the bottom of the stairs and brought a hand to her forehead, blinking a few times.

"You okay?" Lauren scooted around her and placed a hand on Camila's shoulder. Camila simply nodded, shaking it off and setting Wolf back down.

Lauren sat down on the couch while Camila got her breakfast, joining her in the living room. All three of their roommates had already left for school, leaving them home alone for the day.

"Where do we go when we die?" Camila turned to Lauren after she took a bite of her muffin. Lauren's eyes widened, surprised by Camila's sudden question.