endings; 5.00

This chapter is dedicated to every single one of you who reads this story, because you've fallen in love with it more than I, and you've given me so much courage and self confidence in my writing and in general. I love you.
________

Breathing.

It was the thing Pale Eyes had to remember to do the most, as she tried to keep herself from ripping open at the seams. She knew she had to stay strong for the boy. And for his mother.

The girl looked down at her royal blue heels, the toes lined up along the edge of the too deep hole in front of her, and tried to swallow the lump stuck in her throat. Despite her efforts, she couldn't help the tears that began to stream down her face. The memories were too sweet, the thoughts trapped in her head swirling around too much. It seemed like she was a giggling and smiling mess just days before. And she realized, that it really hadn't been that long ago.

The wind was unruly that day, causing  the edges of the girl's black dress to swing around wildly, along with her dark hair that got stuck to her lipstick. The shade of lipstick that the boy adored on her, because it matched the color of her beautifully flushed cheeks. Everywhere she looked, there was a reminder of the boy.

The girl closed her eyes tight and tried to lock away the souring memories and her tears, not wanting to feel so weak. So broken, anymore. Then slowly, she opened those pale eyes of hers and remembered to take a deep breath.

She allowed herself to wallow, as she took in her surroundings. She allowed the hintings of a smile to appear on the corners of her lips, when she realized how much the boy would love the budding trees and the lake nearby. How much they'd enjoy drawing the curves of the branches and the ducks floating on the water.

She didn't know how long she was lost in her little, little world, and she didn't realize that a someone had woven their fingers with hers. Then she startled by the sudden voice that cut through the sound of the rustling leaves and chirping birds. "I.. I guess we should get this done." It said, almost hesitantly, it's owner squeezing her hand gently. 

Pale Eyes tilted her head back and squinted her eyes at the sun (which was beginning to disappear behind the clouds), then smiled sadly up at the person. "Are you sure you're ready?" She asked in her soft, singsong like voice.

She watched as their head nodded; slowly at first until it built into a crescendo of certainty. Then they swallowed, and looked down at the girl, a smile forming upon their lips. "I'm ready now. This is a new leaf. For you and for me."

The two said nothing as the person pushed box out in front of them, removing the lid to take one last look at the contents before they would never see anything inside again.

Both had tears rolling down their cheeks as the two stood, hand in hand, while taking in the contents. So many emotions were rushibg through their heads, many of them ones they didn't want. Lining the bottom of the box was a countless number of papers, filled with sketches and poems and letters that were never sent. Each holding a more saddening image or message than the last. On top of those papers, where empty pill bottles and old razor blades. Hospital wrist bands, medical journals, phamplets. A box filled with things from a time worth forgetting.