Chapter 12- Troubled

*Kendall's POV*

I sat there with Shailene's father, looking at her. It was only after a moment when she diverted her eyes, I noticed her hand was all wrapped up and secure. Before I could think to ask her what had happened, her father voiced that we was going to drop Martha home. Right before he got up to leave though, he introduced us. 'Shay, this is Kendall. A wonderful young man I have met. Kendall, this is my daughter, Shailene. I'll be back soon.' He and Martha got up to leave.

Now, Martha was just another love-wrecking link that I pieced into my plan, I'll think through my brilliance later.

When Mr. Haynsworth and Martha made their way out the door, I looked at Shailene and pulled off the sweetest smile I could.

She spoke first. 'How do you know each other?'

'Oh I helped him change a tyre the other day. Did you know he keeps the spares in the back seat?'

She chuckled. 'Yeah, they used to keep me company in the safety seat in the back whenever we went out with his van when I was younger. Now I just complain about it.'

I laughed. 'So what happened to your hand?'

'Oh, I skipped a stair.'

'Oh, well then-' I stopped in my response because I realized that she realized that her phone was lighting up. She answered. She kept looking down while talking to him, Andrew. Who else would she be talking to?

I heard her say 'There's a guest over, I'll talk to you about it later.' I laughed to myself.

When she was finished, I asked, 'Can I borrow your phone?'

'Oh, sure.' She handed it over to me. I rang my own phone, which was silent in my pocket. What she didn't know was that I had just gotten her number, and I wasn't sure of what I was about to ask her.

'No answer,' I handed her phone back over to her. 'Hey, do you wanna go out somewhere for lunch?'

I was observing her reaction. I saw a slight flicker of confusion across her face as if she was contemplating if to come with me or not.

'Sure, but don't get any ideas okay?'

Blunt. I liked it.

*Andrew's POV*

Nothing. No mini chips.

Kendall is driving me insane.

I woke up ten minutes ago. I tried calling Shay to tell her I wanted her to hang with me, to get my mind off things. After earlier events I was hoping she would get the idea that I wasn't in the frame of mind to talk.

I was really hoping that she would understand. I actually had watching a movie in mind.

Figured if we watch a movie, she wouldn't talk and ask questions through it.

Figured it would be a way for her to not think that I was avoiding her, because I wasn't. I wanted to tell her, everything, but...just not these days. Just wanna get rid of Kendall first.

Shay called me back after some time, as she had missed my calls earlier. I answered, just spread lazily on the sofa. After we made our plans over the phone for her to come over later, since I wasn't in the frame of mind to drive anywhere, she said there was someone over at her house and she'll tell me about it later.

Why did I have a feeling it was Kendall? She refused to tell me over the phone.

*Shailene's POV*

I refused to tell Andrew anything over the phone before he overreacted and came over here.

It was quite a surprise to see Kendall at...in my house this morning. After the events with Martha, I was a bit lost. Who did she even think she was?

Anyways, Kendall is quite charming I must say. I got a different impression from what I got the other day. When he asked me to go for lunch, I thought why not. We've just met, it's nothing to over think. I knew Andrew would understand that he couldn't stop me from making friends.

Lunch was good. We just settled for Chinese. Good thing he paid for that garden terrace seating. Didn't wanna sacrifice my kidney or wash wares in payments for them.

*In the evening*

I was almost ready to get to Andrew's when Veronica, my ride, showed up. It was gonna be a calm evening. Sweats and t-shirt thrown on, I grabbed my slippers and got outside.

During the ride, while I was talking to Veronica, relating the earlier events of Martha to her, I got a call from a strange number that cut her across. I picked him and answered the phone with my unaffected hand. 'Hello?'

'Hey, you know who this is?'

I knew. Hard to miss that voice that had a ring to it that was impossible to forget. 'Kendall?'

'The one and only. Whatcha doing?'

'How'd you get this number?'

'I borrowed your phone earlier didn't I?'

'How--Brilliant.' That was smart.

'Well, can we talk another time? I'm out right now.'

'Sure thing cupcake.'

Uh. I just hung up. Not sure if he was getting too weird that that nickname calling thing.

Veronica continued after I hung up and she realized I forgot we were having a conversation earlier. 'So, this Martha thing, if you ever need me to help out, just lemme know I'll borrow Andrew's bat.'

We both laughed for a while it echoed the car.

Finally, when we arrived, I saw a strange black Camry car parked beside Andrew's in the grass yard.

'It's probably the pizza delivery guy,' Veronica said when she looked at my confused expression. He probably had family over. Did he even have family? I never asked him. I'll put that on the list of things we still have to talk about.....so many things.

'Vers, he invited to pizza man to watch the movie with us?'

'He could have fantasies to fulfill you know,' She playfully winked at me.

I pushed her slightly while we laughed again.

I thanked her and got out of her vehicle when the same time, her phone rang. I went up to his doorstep and tried to open the door without knocking. Surprisingly, it was open. Surprised because Andrew was so careful about securing everything.

What I saw before me broke my heart, to know that the one person I trusted so much would be doing what I was currently seeing.

Her petite frame leaned against Andrew. That liplock spoke essays.

Another girl had her hands wrapped around my boyfriend's neck, kissing him. Why wasn't he pushing her away?

I stared at them for quite a few long seconds, mind reeling as I awaited him to pull away. I didn't make I sound as I felt numb. When they finally decided to finish, the wretch turned around.

I was too phased to even meet Andrew's face, as I stared at the girl.

There stood my 'best friend', Melanie Haynes.