- - 38 - -

Stephen and I cross through a section of the crowd as the applause continues. I can't help but feel pressured as people cheer our names, depending on us to fix their lives. Tanner and Peyton lead us across the atrium, up a ladder, and through a doorway. After zigzagging through another maze of halls, we end up at Olivette's reception desk.

She quickly rises from her seat, waving us over to the holograph-protected door. "No time to waste," she says, opening the doors. She and Tanner stride in side-by-side, climbing the stairs. Stephen and I follow.

"Welcome Olivette L. Chambs, Tanner M. Austen, Stephen K. Moore, and Holland A. Renner."

All four of us enter Commander Liad's office, grabbing seats around the table. "Okay," Commander Liad begins, "we need to get started immediately."

He taps his finger on the table, opening a massive number of holograms. Charts, maps, and wordy documents hover above the wide table. As Olivette combs through the holograms, Liad explains the details of the plan.

"Stephen, Holland, it's important to understand how you're supposed to act in this operation. The storyline of the operation is simple. My Pod 14 Screeners found you both in Grand Rapids and led you to Pod 14's hospital. Then my medical staff administered a sedative to knock out your memories."

Liad turns to Stephen, "Stephen, you don't remember meeting Holland. Your memory stops the moment before she entered your Project cell."

"And Holland," Liad says, "Your memory cuts off on the SkyTrain. Remember up until the moment before your derailment."

I nod, thinking back to my SkyTrain rides to school. The Holland I was just months ago is a completely different person than I am now. Now I have to forget my new self and my new experiences. Can I fake that much confusion and fear all over again? That means no recognizing Tanner, Liad, or anyone in between. No Stephen.

Relax, I remind myself, becoming uneasy, It's not like I have to disown Stephen. This is temporary.

Liad continues. "This operation is critical, although there are a few possible results. Because of your memory confiscations, the Screeners will not kill you or screen you. You'll either return to the Project or return to society. As you know, we're hoping you return to the Project."

My stomach flutters at those words. Olivette swipes a document towards Liad. "Sir, standard procedure for memory confiscation patients is to deliver them back to society. Because of where their memories leave off, Holland will return to Philadelphia while Stephen will return to the Enhancement Project most likely."

"Excellent," Liad says. "We'll have tracking, audio, and video active at every moment. For security purposes, I won't tell you where your sensors are. Just know that Pod 14 will be watching at all times."

Stephen and I agree, not that our consent is necessary. We're aware of the risks and the rewards, but I hate the feeling of more technology somewhere in me. My stomach tenses more. I can't afford to make any mistakes in this operation either. Higher stakes than ever.

"Now for the fun part," Tanner says, rising from his seat. "Practicing."

Tanner makes Stephen and I stand and face each other about 5 yards apart. He fetches some Screeners to use as guards, placing three Screeners with me and three with Stephen. Peyton decides to be Liad.

Tanner has me back up with the Screeners and act like I'm confused. He says if I'm waking up with half my memory gone, I need to act like it. Liad's gaze rests on the back of my neck, and I force myself to focus, taking a deep breath. This is serious.

"W-What's going on?" I say as my group approaches Stephen. I force despair into my voice and grab onto a Screener's armor. "Hey, how did I get here? Hello? Where's my Train? Where am I?"