» shades

"You know, people who have eyes that capture the paint splatters around them are so, so lucky. We don't even realize how lucky we are. Our eyes see better than any camera built into phones, even the latest edition iPhone and that's saying something." A chuckle passed throughout the room. I got a little more relaxed; the words danced in my head as I looked over at the students.

"Let's be real, sure, we can't capture width by height and we sure as hell can't add Valencia to what we see. But we are so unique. Don't you see? Here, can I have two volunteers, please?" I pried her up onto the stage, not bothering to see if she raised her hand or not. I picked another student from the class and made them stand side by side. "Do you two have your phones with you?"

They pulled out two iPhones, each with a similar-looking camera—processed, manufactured, all in the same sequential way. "See, their cameras are exactly identical: made from the same material, no DNA malfunctions nor any unique difference between the two. Now, look at their eyes. Both of these students have blue eyes but see how her eyes are a little lighter than his? Or how his eyes have a swirl of this greenish-gold surrounding his pupil? Thanks for participating, you can sit down." I smiled widely at her and then I pulled two new people up. "Both have brown eyes, a one-worded category. Look closer and you see that he has a rich dark shade that has swirls of light brown at the edges. Look at hers, dark brown with a shiny gloss that gives off the idea that she's a crystal." The room went pitch quiet. "Now, their phones' cameras? Why look at that. It's the same thing! No difference in the shape nor color; pretty much the same. Now, do you get it? Do you get the fact that we will always strive ahead by staying true to ourselves? To realize that technology wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for us and our different features? All influence one another to create something that can store over two thousand photos because one selfie is never enough. Don't forget, you are the only one with certain eye color. There are different shades of your color but you, out of seven billion people in the world, got a shade no one else has. Seven billion different shades of eye color. Can you imagine it?"