4.

"Oh man, you really should've gone to my house." Nick laughed, and Sem clicked his tongue in annoyance. He knew his best friend would laugh at him, but he'd really needed to offload, and told Nick all about last night's fiasco anyway. Final hours in school did make a perfect time to vent. They were supposed to be searching for an English literature book to write a report on. Instead, they slacked off near the book cases.

"I mean," Nick's expression turned more serious when Sem didn't joke with him like usual, "Obviously this would end with your mom flipping out again."

"Yeah, I guess so. "

"A-hum!" Mrs. Till, the librarian, shot them a disapproving look over the rim of her glasses, probably for talking too much. Sem gave her a blank stare, until the old lady nervously lowered her eyes.

Rumour had it that Mrs. Till worked with delinquent teens before accepting a job at the school. Sem wasn't sure if he believed it. She was the size of a Chihuahua, and didn't have any authority over the high school kids whatsoever. Let alone over kids who'd actually broken into houses, did underground bare knuckle fights, and carried knives. They would've smelled blood, and eaten her alive.

Nick walked over to the nearest bookcase, and pulled out the thinnest book from the shelf. "Okay, your parents are making you go to this camp, but they can't physically make you stay there. Why don't you just come back? We can hit the clubs. I still have your fake ID."

"Much appreciated," Sem replied, "But it's a no go. When I said mom flipped out, I meant really flipped out." Sem knitted his brow. "She threatened to stop paying for my kickboxing lessons if I don't go, or bend over backwards for this Lisa."

"Geez. That's a cheap shot. Way below the belt," Nick looked offended for his sake, which Sem appreciated.

"Thanks."

Nick knew exactly how important these lessons were to Sem. It'd been hard fight -- harder than any fight he'd actually done inside the practice ring-- to get them. He'd been nagging for it since he was ten. Four years later, Sem had sneaked himself into a kickboxing class, and trainer Ralph immediately saw potential in him. 

After months of secretly and illegally practicing with some pointers from Ralph, and then finally Ralph coming over to meet his parents, arguing the sport would teach Sem self-control rather than aggression, they finally caved. Sem suspected it was out of pure desperation. His parents were willing to grasp at anything that might teach him discipline, which might carry over to his schoolwork. 

"Hey, there's Emma. And Matthew and Ethan. Bastards went to get fries without us-- and we call them friends? Pff." Nick looked at the library doors, and Sem followed his gaze. Ethan, Matthew, and Emma came sauntering into the library, chatting and laughing. The two boys each held a paper cone with french fries. Emma was carrying nothing. Then again, she didn't eat anything but fruit, vegetables, and nuts. She was on a new diet every week, despite already being super slim.

Nick stuck up his hand to get their attention, and the three came walking their way. They passed Mrs. Till, who now looked positively vexed. The fries were crossing the line so far, she finally seemed to have decided to leave her desk. Her heels click-clacked on the floor as she followed the food offenders, arriving at Nick and Sem's table at about the same time as they did. "There's no food allowed in the library, boys."

"Goodness." Sem's eyes went wide. "We understand Mrs. Till, no food in the library. That's why we're making it disappear." He leaned over to Ethan, stole a fry, and popped it into his mouth. "See?"

Ethan and Nick snickered, Matthew looked faintly amused, and Emma stayed quiet. All eyes turned to Mrs. Till, curious how she'd react to the challenge.