Chapter Twenty-Eight ۞ Identity

The Twelve and one extra ended up staying way past their bedtime, practicing in the wee hours of the night.

When they realized they still had classes the next day, they immediately scampered to put things back in place and clean up. The room had become messy during their practice, with plates and glasses dumped on an old table in the farside corner of the room where they had a half an hour long snack.

"I feel lazy." Elfre stared at the mess they made. "I don't feel like getting up."

Valeriana was diligently setting aside the dishes, something she was used to doing. Just as she prepared to carry them upstairs, Corvan voiced out a small question.

"What do you plan on doing?"

The fifth turned to gaze back at him. "I'm planning to do the dishes before I go to sleep."

He stood. "That is no longer your obligation."

"But--"

"That was before." Tamara piped in, standing up herself. "We were just wondering how far you'll go. You don't need to do all the chores around anymore."

Valeriana gave them an eye roll. "The whole lackey thing, huh?" She then laughed.

"The Headmaster informed us the new housekeeper will be coming tomorrow." Charles said. "So we'll just have to leave them in the kitchen and let her do everything else."

"We'll be even more busy the coming week." Raziel stated. "You will not be given the time to do your usual routine."

"Speaking of that." Rowe interjected. "We need to plan out what time we will meet. As you know, we still have other things we need to attend to regarding the other program."

Sighs, groans, and grunts were heard throughout the room. Zion perked up, curious.

"I've heard of rumors." Said the non-ranker. "Is this about you people fighting each other?"

"So you've heard."

Zion reclined on his chair and shot the first-ranker a lopsided smirk. "This makes me wonder. Who will be challenging the great Lord Corvan for the position of first-ranker?"

"That would be me, apparently." Valeriana wearily answered. "Because it makes things interesting."

A look of shock from disbelief spread across the blue-haired lad's face. He leaned forward, expressing his interest in the matter. Even so, before he could further ask some questions, he was cut off by the sound of the Twelve's departure.

"The topic is not open for discussion." Corvan's expression was dead serious, void of any emotion that offered an insight to his thoughts. "Call time has long since been over in the regular residences. Shouldn't you be leaving?"

"I can sneak into my room just fine." He jumped to his feet and dashed for the stairs. "I guess I am a bit tired, though."

"Practice will start at seven after dinner. Everyone is free to do what they wish before then." Corvan announced.

In a split second, Zion disappeared right before their very eyes. This was the signal for the others to leave as well.

"I think I'll have to miss the practice for tomorrow." Valeriana informed them. "Just this once. Lady Seraphina and I will go somewhere important. I might stay for the first few minutes . . ."

Curious gazes were shot her way.

"It's important, so go ahead." Aneeka said, patting her back as she went straight out.